jskubick

jskubick

Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack: android:tint vs app:tint (chapter 7, p186)

I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint.

How to replicate:

  1. load chapter-7 from zipfile into Android Studio

  2. view layout_coin_slot.xml

  3. Notice that Android Studio is complaining about android:tint="@color/coin_slot_color" in the coin slot’s ImageView

Changing it to app:tint="@color/coin_slot_color" fixes it.

The code in the zipfile is consistent with the code in the text… but both are actually wrong (at least, as far as ArcticFox in October 2021 is concerned) and the prefix has to be changed in order to successfully compile.

I think adding the dependency on com.google.android.material on p179 is what caused the use of android:tint to break in chapter 7 (because it worked just fine in chapter 6). I’m not 100% sure, but it looks like Google’s original implementation of the Material library had a bug, and they later decided to fix it in a way that caused any code that used the original syntax (with the ‘android’ prefix) to break.

Due to the namespace change for app:tint, the section about changing the other two Views becomes confusing.

The ImageView needs app:tint="@color/coin_slot_color", but the View needs android:backgroundTint="@color/coin_slot_color", and the TextView needs android:textColor="@color/coin_slot_color"

First Post!

mfazio23

mfazio23

Author of Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack

Hey Jeff,
Which version of the the Material library are you using here?
Also, if the app:tint version also works with older versions, I’ll just update it to use that instead.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
johnp
Running the examples in chapter 5 c under pytest 5.4.1 causes an AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘config’. In particula...
New
jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
cro
I am working on the “Your Turn” for chapter one and building out the restart button talked about on page 27. It recommends looking into ...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Sub Categories: