dachristenson

dachristenson

Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack: End Ch. 11 app runs but consistently crashes

I’ve got to the end of Ch. 11, and the app runs, with all tabs displaying what they should – at first. After switching around between Standings, Players, Leaders, etc., the app always eventually has problems reloading, for instance, Standings. Then, I’ll try to load Leaders, and it crashes with this error (as far as I can tell, it’s always mentioning the LeadersListFragment). Is this due to the “experimental” status of some of the packages imported, or is it something else? It happens on both my Samsung tablet and on the virtual Pixel 3a.

FATAL EXCEPTION: main
                                                                                                    Process: com.example.abl, PID: 13592
                                                                                                    androidx.fragment.app.Fragment$InstantiationException: Unable to instantiate fragment com.example.abl.leaders.LeadersListFragment: could not find Fragment constructor
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.Fragment.instantiate(Fragment.java:687)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentContainer.instantiate(FragmentContainer.java:57)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager$3.instantiate(FragmentManager.java:525)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentState.instantiate(FragmentState.java:84)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentStateManager.<init>(FragmentStateManager.java:91)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.restoreSaveStateInternal(FragmentManager.java:2562)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.Fragment.restoreChildFragmentState(Fragment.java:1988)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.Fragment.onCreate(Fragment.java:1967)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.Fragment.performCreate(Fragment.java:3094)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentStateManager.create(FragmentStateManager.java:504)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentStateManager.moveToExpectedState(FragmentStateManager.java:268)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.executeOpsTogether(FragmentManager.java:1943)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.removeRedundantOperationsAndExecute(FragmentManager.java:1845)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.execPendingActions(FragmentManager.java:1782)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager$5.run(FragmentManager.java:565)
                                                                                                    	at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:938)
                                                                                                    	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
                                                                                                    	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:246)
                                                                                                    	at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:8653)
                                                                                                    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
                                                                                                    	at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:602)
                                                                                                    	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1130)
                                                                                                    Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: com.example.abl.leaders.LeadersListFragment.<init> []
                                                                                                    	at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2332)
                                                                                                    	at java.lang.Class.getConstructor(Class.java:1728)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.Fragment.instantiate(Fragment.java:672)
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentContainer.instantiate(FragmentContainer.java:57) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager$3.instantiate(FragmentManager.java:525) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentState.instantiate(FragmentState.java:84) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentStateManager.<init>(FragmentStateManager.java:91) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.restoreSaveStateInternal(FragmentManager.java:2562) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.Fragment.restoreChildFragmentState(Fragment.java:1988) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.Fragment.onCreate(Fragment.java:1967) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.Fragment.performCreate(Fragment.java:3094) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentStateManager.create(FragmentStateManager.java:504) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentStateManager.moveToExpectedState(FragmentStateManager.java:268) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.executeOpsTogether(FragmentManager.java:1943) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.removeRedundantOperationsAndExecute(FragmentManager.java:1845) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager.execPendingActions(FragmentManager.java:1782) 
                                                                                                    	at androidx.fragment.app.FragmentManager$5.run(FragmentManager.java:565) 
                                                                                                    	at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:938) 
                                                                                                    	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99) 
                                                                                                    	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:246) 
                                                                                                    	at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:8653) 
                                                                                                    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method) 
                                                                                                    	at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:602) 
                                                                                                    	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1130) 
2023-12-06 14:58:29.915 13592-13592 Process                 com.example.abl                      I  Sending signal. PID: 13592 SIG: 9

Marked As Solved

mfazio23

mfazio23

Author of Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack

Alright, this took me a bit since my original app still works as written, so I’m thinking this is due to a change in one of the navigation library. It’s seems like it’s trying to be helpful and re-create your Fragment automatically, but since it doesn’t know the leaderType it can’t.

I’d say the proper approach here is to send the leaderType as an argument to the LeadersListFragment rather than as a constructor parameter:

val leaderType = if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.TIRAMISU) {
    arguments?.getSerializable(LEADER_TYPE_KEY, LeaderType::class.java)
} else {
    arguments?.getSerializable(LEADER_TYPE_KEY) as? LeaderType
} ?: LeaderType.Batting

You can then remove leaderType from the constructor. Note that the extra version check logic is due to arguments?.getSerializable(LEADER_TYPE_KEY) being deprecated for API level 33, but our app supports lower versions.

You can also do this the easy way and make the constructor parameter nullable:

class LeadersListFragment(private val leaderType: LeaderType? = LeaderType.Batting)

Sorry this took a bit for me to get back to you!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex&gt; product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
brunogirin
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error: ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
adamwoolhether
Is there any place where we can discuss the solutions to some of the exercises? I can figure most of them out, but am having trouble with...
New
akraut
The markup used to display the uploaded image results in a Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError error. lib/pento_web/live/product_l...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New

Other popular topics Top

brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New

Sub Categories: