dachristenson

dachristenson

Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack: Should app build by end of p. 294?

@mfazio23

My version of the app was building (version as of p. 284), but as of the end of p. 294, it fails to build with this error:

e: file:///D:/home/Derek/Dropbox/AndroidStudioProjects/AndroidBaseballLeague/app/src/main/java/com/example/abl/settings/SettingsFragment.kt:100:15 Unresolved reference: attr

When I look at that, Android Studio complains that the attribute colorPrimary is undefined. As far as I can tell, my theme files are almost identical to those in the provided code for Ch. 12, and colorPrimary is, indeed, defined for both day and night themes. So, why is it hanging up here and refusing to build? Am I missing something that is mentioned later in Ch. 12?

Also, Android Studio is giving me a warning about onBindPreferences, saying

PreferenceFragmentCompat.onBindPreferences can only be called from within the same library group prefix (referenced groupId=androidx.preference with prefix androidx from groupId=Android Baseball League)

That warning, however, does not seem to be preventing the build.

Marked As Solved

mfazio23

mfazio23

Author of Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack

This one’s weird as I’m not sure what differs between your project and what I have set up. I’m assuming it’s something with the updated library versions, but I’m honestly not sure (and yes, I’m seeing the same thing on my version of your code).

That being said, an easy fix is to change the attribute reference to android.R.attr.colorPrimary. It’ll pull in the <item name="colorPrimary">@color/androidGreen</item> attribute from your themes all the same.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
brianokken
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
simonpeter
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error. user=&gt; (create-migration "guestbook") Execution error (Ill...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: &lt;%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
creminology
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New

Sub Categories: