AstonJ

AstonJ

How to install Ruby 3 with ASDF

In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first:

asdf plugin-update ruby

Then you can install Ruby 3 with:

asdf install ruby 3.0.0

Or:

asdf install ruby latest

Also updated my blog post here.

Think it would be good if asdf list-all ruby simply does asdf plugin-update ruby beforehand - might save a bit of head scratching for a lot of people :laughing:

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I have my own script that does a full update of all installed software and I’ve included ASDF updating of all plugins in it for that exact reason, @AstonJ. It’s a bit manual but you can script it (like I did) and then forget about it.

@ohm One version manager for 99% of all languages and many tools and databases you’ll ever use, is my motivation. Using asdf definitely simplified my setup.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I think the biggest benefit is that you can use it for lots and lots and lots of different languages :nerd_face:

Have a look at their list here:

In my dev env setup guide on my blog (link in first post) we use ASDF for Ruby, Elixir, Erlang and NodeJS :smiley:

For Ruby in a production env, I’ve always used Chruby as it has always worked well:

jc00ke

jc00ke

Rubinius Core Team

I’m completely sold on asdf. With the .tool-versions file I can just asdf install in a project and go.

I also love how simple it is to have multiple versions of PostgreSQL running. I use the technique described here to manage the database per project so I know I’m always exactly matching the production version. This has been super helpful when one project is on Heroku and runs 12 or 13 and another is using AWS Aurora that’s more like 9.6 maybe 10.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

DevotionGeo
For me it’s the semicolon, because I stopped using a semicolon in JavaScript, two other of my favorite languages, Elixir and Go don’t hav...
New
New
First poster: bot
C++: The Good Parts . Jordan DeLong overviews the past, current and near future “good parts” of C++'s functional side through the colore...
New
First poster: bot
About Self Self is a prototype-based dynamic object-oriented programming language, environment, and virtual machine centered around the p...
New
ariandanim
Hello, i am facing difficult using webpack when to install within phoenix framework 1.5.7 because the webpack is still version 4.x.x inf...
New
kelvinst
I have being some Elixir open-source contributions and side projects. Oh, and I’m doing them on livestreams on my twitch channel, follow ...
New
mafinar
I’ll be participating. This would be very interesting because I have been having coders block + a lot of distraction this weekend. But l...
New
mafinar
Hello folks! We had a pretty fun thread here around the same time last year - talking about Advent of Code problems. That also happened t...
New
lucasvegi
Hello guys! Perhaps some of you have already seen this invitation on other channels in the Elixir community or even responded to our surv...
New
apoorv-2204
Hi everyone, I’m considering pursuing the Elixir/Erlang certification exam offered by Erlang Solutions and wanted to check in with the c...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New