Alexandr

Alexandr

Programming Machine Learning: Incorrect formula

Hi everyone!
There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You can’t just change the weighted sum to a sigmoid without first taking the derivative of the sigmoid. See the explanation there https://yadi.sk/i/T75bWimUYPAe7Q

Best regards.

Marked As Solved

nusco

nusco

Author of Metaprogramming Ruby & Programming Machine Learning

Hey, Alexandr! Thank you for taking the time to report this, and even take a picture of your notes!

I kinda regret not putting that calculation in the book, because from the explanation I wrote, it looks like the derivative of the sigmoid just disappeared. Actually, the formula in the book does take that derivative into account. The sigmoid isn’t explicit in the final formula, but it’s baked into the values of y-hat.

It’s been a while since I went through the steps myself, but I googled for a step-by-step calculation and found this one: https://medium.com/analytics-vidhya/derivative-of-log-loss-function-for-logistic-regression-9b832f025c2d

My apologies for not writing the steps by hand (busy day!), but I checked the calculation in the link above, and I cannot see any obvious errors. If you do, can you please point them out?

Also Liked

Alexandr

Alexandr

Thank you!
I just read it inattentively. I think it would be a good idea to insert that link (https://medium.com/analytics-vidhya/derivative-of-log-loss-function-for-logistic-regression-9b832f025c2d) in the book.
Best regards.
P.S.
Thank you! I think you’ve written the best book for beginners( I’ve read a lot of them).

nusco

nusco

Author of Metaprogramming Ruby & Programming Machine Learning

No problem, Alexandr, and thank you for reporting the issue anyway!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

brianokken
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New

Sub Categories: