NaplesDave

NaplesDave

Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack:Page 44, Can't build project

@mfazio23
I am following along and I have gotten up to adding the data binding items. The project has built alright until I added the data binding stuff. I have compared the Chapter 2 solution code to mine and I can’t find any issues but Mine will not build. I get the following error:

Android resource linking failed
com.example.pennydrop.app-mergeDebugResources-46:/layout/player_list_item.xml:52: error: ‘@{switchHidden ? View.INVISIBLE : View.VISIBLE’ is incompatible with attribute visibility (attr) enum [gone=2, invisible=1, visible=0].
error: failed linking file resources.

Can you give me some pointer as to where I might look to fix this error?

PS. When I do the suggested updates (gradle) to the chapter 2 solution code that Android Studio tells me I should do, it fails and won’t build as well. Just a FYI. I’m using Chipmunk.

Android Studio Chipmunk | 2021.2.1 Patch 2
Build #AI-212.5712.43.2112.8815526, built on July 10, 2022
Runtime version: 11.0.12+0-b1504.28-7817840 x86_64
VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM by JetBrains s.r.o.
macOS 12.5.1
GC: G1 Young Generation, G1 Old Generation
Memory: 2048M
Cores: 16
Registry: external.system.auto.import.disabled=true
Non-Bundled Plugins: org.intellij.plugins.markdown (212.5457.16), com.thoughtworks.gauge (212.4746.52), com.kite.intellij (1.9.4), org.jetbrains.kotlin (212-1.7.10-release-333-AS5457.46), Dart (212.5744), io.flutter (69.0.2)

Marked As Solved

mfazio23

mfazio23

Author of Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack

@NaplesDave - Apologies for the late reply here, took me a bit to get back to this.

Quick answer: you’re missing a curly bracket at the end of the android:visibility property on your SwitchCompat component.

android:visibility="@{switchHidden ? View.INVISIBLE : View.VISIBLE"/>

Give that a run and see if you’re good (if you didn’t already find this)

Also Liked

NaplesDave

NaplesDave

@mfazio23 Thank you very much. Good catch!
Onward and forward.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
New
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New

Sub Categories: