mcpierce

mcpierce

Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack: Unique constraint error when running chapter 5 code changes

@mfazio23

I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game, the following exception is being thrown:

android.database.sqlite.SQLiteConstraintException: UNIQUE constraint failed: game_statuses.gameId, game_statuses.playerId (code 1555 SQLITE_CONSTRAINT_PRIMARYKEY)
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteConnection.nativeExecuteForLastInsertedRowId(Native Method)
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteConnection.executeForLastInsertedRowId(SQLiteConnection.java:940)
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteSession.executeForLastInsertedRowId(SQLiteSession.java:790)
    at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteStatement.executeInsert(SQLiteStatement.java:89)
    at androidx.sqlite.db.framework.FrameworkSQLiteStatement.executeInsert(FrameworkSQLiteStatement.kt:42)
    at androidx.room.EntityInsertionAdapter.insert(EntityInsertionAdapter.kt:85)
    at dev.mfazio.pennydrop.data.PennyDropDao_Impl$10.call(PennyDropDao_Impl.java:278)
    at dev.mfazio.pennydrop.data.PennyDropDao_Impl$10.call(PennyDropDao_Impl.java:273)
   <snipped>

Any suggestion on what to check in the project code?

Marked As Solved

mfazio23

mfazio23

Author of Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack

Apologies for losing track of this thread, but on the plus side, I see what’s going on. It took me a bit to find, too, since it wasn’t clear right away.

Quick version:
You’re missing android:text="@={player.playerName}" on the @+id/edit_text_player_name <Edit Text> in player_list_item.xml.

Long version:
The database exception happens because the game sees you as trying to enter in the same player twice, meaning both players have the same ID. They both are seen as having the same ID because of how the app gets players in PennyDropDao:

// PennyDropDao.startGame(...)
val playerIds = players.map { player -> 
    getPlayer(player.playerName)?.playerId ?: insertPlayer(player)
}

We get players by name from the DB or create new versions. If two players have the same name (even if it’s a blank name), one is inserted into the DB and the other is retrieved right away, but they’re both the same.

In this issue’s case, the names were blank because nothing was in place to assign the name to the playerName field. That lives inside player_list_item.xml and the edit_text_player_name <EditText>.

If you don’t have a value set for android:text, a TextView will still show what you type in, but nothing happens with it. You need to set an expression there (with the = after the @) to link it back to the NewPlayer object:

android:text="@={player.playerName}"

While the error makes sense in the end, it’s almost misleading given where the issue starts out.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

belgoros
Following the steps described in Chapter 6 of the book, I’m stuck with running the migration as described on page 84: bundle exec sequel...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
AufHe
I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113. Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of prod...
New
mert
AWDWR 7, page 152, page 153: Hello everyone, I’m a little bit lost on the hotwire part. I didn’t fully understand it. On page 152 @rub...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New
New
dachristenson
@mfazio23 Android Studio will not accept anything I do when trying to use the Transformations class, as described on pp. 140-141. Googl...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
New
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New

Sub Categories: