dachristenson

dachristenson

Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack: Ch. 9 won't build

@mfazio23

I have copied / typed in all the code to the end of Ch. 9, but I cannot get the project to build. It keeps failing with the error:

“e: file:///C:/Users/derek/Dropbox/AndroidStudioProjects/AndroidBaseballLeague/app/src/main/java/com/example/abl/teams/TeamsGridAdapter.kt:43:17 Unresolved reference: setClickListener”

I’ve verified that the code for the TeamViewHolder inner class is identical to the provided code (by copying and pasting it), but it still fails. Android Studio has one suggestion for importing a function, but it then causes even more errors, so I think that may be the wrong function. Besides, that function is not imported in the provided Ch. 9 code.

I squashed a few typos in the Gradle files, but this is still happening, so I’m not sure where my problem is. Has something else changed in Android, or do I just have a typo I cannot find? Do you have any suggestions?

My repository is here: GitHub - dachristenson/Android_Baseball_League: Working through Part II of "Kotlin and Android Development Featuring Jetpack" by Michael Fazio.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Marked As Solved

mfazio23

mfazio23

Author of Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack

The setClickListener function is an extra binding adapter on the ViewBindingAdapter class, so you would need an additional import there. That being said, I think that signature may have changed as well.

In reality, the better approach here is to use the setOnClickListener { ... } function on the view’s root:

root.setOnClickListener {
  ...
}

This is clearer and similar to how you normally handle click listeners in Android.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jeremyhuiskamp
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9) The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
patoncrispy
I’m new to Rust and am using this book to learn more as well as to feed my interest in game dev. I’ve just finished the flappy dragon exa...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
hgkjshegfskef
The test is as follows: Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1)) And s ← sphere...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
creminology
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
gorkaio
root_layout: {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root}, This results in the following following error: no “root” html template defined for PentoWeb...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New

Sub Categories: