Maartz

Maartz

Roc Language - a new purely functional programming language built for speed and ergonomics

Hi folks,

I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc
Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. I’m not so surprised as it’s a talk made by Richard Feldman.
I really like this guy’s talks, especially ones about why FP is not the norm and from RoR to Haskell.

A little tour of the language here:

Most Liked

chikega

chikega

Sorry, I couldn’t help it … I’m sure Roc is a Roc’in’ new language :smiley:

AstonJ

AstonJ

Looks interesting Maartz - thanks for posting :023:

I only watched the first few minutes, do you know who created it and what it’s intended purpose is?

Personally I am not a fan of whitespace dependent syntax as I think my brain just isn’t wired for it :lol:

dwaynebradley

dwaynebradley

I’m with you on this one. Way too easy to screw up your real intent and it is not always easy to spot the problem. Python anyone?

Same thing holds true for “config”-like files in my mind too. YAML? :face_vomiting::joy:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
axelson
Can anyone recommend a tmux session switcher? I’ve used https://github.com/siadat/session-finder in the past but it’s not very actively m...
New
AstonJ
If so, what was the last blog post you wrote… and if not, why not?
New
AstonJ
Just been adding some more portals, currently have the following languages: Apache Groovy C C# C++ Clojure CoffeeScript Crystal ...
New
Rainer
Not sure if following fits exactly this thread, or if we should have a hobby thread… For many years I’m designing and building model air...
New
ohm
I just switched jobs to tech lead with a small team of about 6 other developer. This is my first tech lead job. What do I need to know? A...
New
jaeyson
Not trying to add more mess here but, reddit has ELI5 but i wanted to know if it’s okay to ask Elixir-specific (or outside of it) in a si...
New
Exadra37
Your users of the two forums are spread across the world, thus I am curious how did you solved it?
New
AstonJ
Chris Seaton, the creator of TruffleRuby has died. It appears from suicide :cry: He left this note on Twitter on the weekend: And one...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New