dachristenson

dachristenson

Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack: Cannot reach Settings Fragment in Penny Drop (p. 177)

Hi @mfazio23

I’ve reached the top of p. 177, and I can run Penny Drop both on my real Samsung tablet and on the in-IDE emulator, but I cannot reach the newly-created Settings fragment. Looking at the sentence on p. 173, “Instead of the bottom nav, settings are accessed via a gear icon in the app’s nav bar.” This raises a question for me: What is the “nav bar”? I thought that the “bottom nav” and the “nav bar” were the same thing, but apparently not?

Also, for some reason, it only just now dawned on me that the app screenshots in the book (such as on p. 168) show a large title bar of some kind (the “nav bar”?) at the top of both the Game and Pick Players screens, saying “Penny Drop”, but this is completely absent from my app! I’ve spent some time comparing my (typed-in) source code to the downloaded Ch. 6 and 7 source code, and I cannot figure out what is wrong with my version of the source code. I’d google how to make this show up or not, but Googling “nav bar” brought up pictures of what the book appears to call the “bottom nav”, so I’m confused.

(I will attach screenshots here of what Penny Drop looks like for me at this point.)

I’m sure I’ve made a very dumb mistake and disabled or removed… something, but what did I do? Suggestions?

I have been uploading my work on this book here: GitHub - dachristenson/PennyDrop4: Fourth attempt at working through "Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack" due to changes in Android Studio.


Marked As Solved

mfazio23

mfazio23

Author of Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack

Hey Derek!
First off, apologies for me taking a while to get back to you.

For your question, the “nav bar” in this context would probably be better listed as the “action bar” or “app bar”. It is indeed that title bar you noticed was missing, and thankfully it’s a simple change to re-add it.

In your values/themes.xml files (both normal and night), you’re using Theme.Material3.DayNight.NoActionBar as your parent theme. This will remove the action bar from the MainActivity that would normally be there. On the plus side, I added it back into your code and your navigation to the Settings screen works perfectly!

Let me know if that works!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
Mmm
Hi, build fails on: bracket-lib = “~0.8.1” when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0: Compiling winit v0.22.2 error[E0308]: mi...
New
jeremyhuiskamp
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9) The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
jskubick
I’m running Android Studio “Arctic Fox” 2020.3.1 Patch 2, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I only made it to page 8 before running into ...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
brunogirin
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error: ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
New
davetron5000
Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and ar...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New

Sub Categories: