dachristenson

dachristenson

Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack: Transformations class doesn't seem to exist anymore (pp. 140-141

@mfazio23

Android Studio will not accept anything I do when trying to use the Transformations class, as described on pp. 140-141. Googling around reveals that ANOTHER change has been made, and that Transformations no long exists as such but is now built-into Kotlin in some way. I found an example about how to change Transformations.mapswitch() to someClass.mapswitch() but no complete example about how to do the same with Transformations.map(). My efforts to apply the same format to all of the Transformations.map() statements just changed the error from “Unresolved reference: Transformations” to “Type mismatch. Required: Player. Found: Player?”, for instance. This despite setting “lc_version” to “2.3.0”.

What should I do to get Chapter 5’s code working?

Thanks in advance!

Marked As Solved

mfazio23

mfazio23

Author of Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack

tl;dr: Change to calling map { ... } on the LiveData object, change the variable to its nullable version.

It seems like you are on the right track with how you tried to fix this. With v2.6.0 of the Lifecycle library, the Transformations was completely removed (which you unfortunately had to find out the hard way), but thankfully the code is simpler now.

For a concrete example, this code:

this.currentPlayer = Transformations.map(this.currentGame) { gameWithPlayers ->
    gameWithPlayers?.players?.firstOrNull { it.isRolling }
}

is now

this.currentPlayer = this.currentGame.map { gameWithPlayers ->
    gameWithPlayers?.players?.firstOrNull { it.isRolling }
}

But, as you discovered, this causes issues with nullability due to how newer versions of LiveData handle null values. Luckily, this is an easy enough fix; change the LiveData variable to have a nullable type inside of it.
Specifically, this means:

val currentPlayer: LiveData<Player>

becomes

val currentPlayer: LiveData<Player?>

That should resolve the issues you have, let you move forward, and get rid of the Transformations class which was never my favorite in the first place!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
andreheijstek
After running /bin/setup, the first error was: The foreman' command exists in these Ruby versions: That was easy to fix: gem install fore...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: