Help

Help

Can I use Java to program a game for Nintendo switch?

I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use Java to crate a game for Nintendo switch? Thanks!

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

As an aside, if you want to program homebrew for the nintendo switch (or official API if you can afford it), Rust is a language that is significantly safer and easier to use bugless than C or C++ and it can compile to the Switch, there are a few community made libraries that make it fairly simple to use I hear but never tried them.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

In short: No.

In long: Java has a sizeable runtime that that alone is larger than almost every nintendo switch game’s runnable code, combined with the fact of having a GC would cause unending hitches on that much slower hardware. There’s a reason assembly, C, and C++ are used on the switch and only just about that. You ‘might’ be able to do very simple java or python things, but you will quickly run in to performance issues.

gulshan212

gulshan212

Well, I will recommend you to use C/C++ instead of Java as you know that Nintendo Switch primarily uses Nintendo’s own developing environment which includes libraries and tools of C and C++. Whereas Java is versatile programming language which is not natively supported for game development on Nintendo Switch.
Thanks

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
dev232
Installed Mac Ports on OSX High Sierra sudo port install gcc11 libsdl2 openssl glfw libsdl2_gfx libsdl2_image libsdl2_mixer libsdl2_net...
New
ksspeedstar
For about two weeks we have had the problem that Google / Android are rejecting apps for updates with the following statement: We found...
New
Intelligent_Chip_641
I published a game with AdMob monetization back in November, and I was making $35 per day. However, two days ago, I received a notificati...
New
gulshan212
Hello this is Gulshan Negi Well, I have developed a program in C++ to print a man (reference taken from here). On the attached site, I a...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
Where the protagonist hovers their head towards an item nearby, and the headturn has a movement limit, so it’s not like 360 degree head ...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
SuperGibaLogan
im working on a game on godot and im using a tutorial to code it however, one of the code in the tutorial im using only works in godot 4...
New
lucianoghetti
Hello, I’m a Bachelor Student in Informatics at Ecole Schulz in Geneva. I’m conducting a project on Artificial Intelligence in the Videog...
New
Cheeren
Hello. I am developing a game with Unity. I have a problem that I can’t solve. It doesn’t matter if it is 3D or 2D, the edges of the obje...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New