mbarchfe

mbarchfe

Vector Search with JavaScript: couchbaseQuery is always the empty string (page 181)

Hi @hummusonrails,

I have created a capella account version 7.6.6.

I have started the server with current main branch.

When running the following query

 curl http://localhost:4000/api/search -X POST \
   -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
   -H "Accept: application/json" \
   -d '{"query":"your search text here"}'

then the couchbaseQuery text generated from build() returns an empty string.

Digging into it, the query is missing a queryType and therefore the build does not perform any building but returns the empty string.

Any idea why this happens?
Thanks
Markus

First Post!

hummusonrails

hummusonrails

Author of Vector Search with JavaScript

Hey there,

In the original flow in the sample application in the repo, /api/search was wired to the Ottoman query builder example, which generates SQL++ and not vector or full-text queries. Without a queryType, .build() just returns an empty string, that’s expected for that path.

I updated the repository example to be more straightforward going forward though. The updated flow now routes /api/search through the performSearch service. This is the part of the repo that uses the Couchbase SDK’s scope.search() API with a VectorSearch request, which is the intended way to run vector searches in this sample.

For it to return meaningful results, you’ll still need:

  • Documents in your Capella bucket/scope with an embedding array field
  • A Capella Vector Search index on that field

This sample is meant to illustrate how vector search fits into an app’s flow, not to be a complete production setup. If you want to take it further, the Couchbase docs walk through the full Capella + Node.js SDK setup:

With the current controller in place, once your index and embeddings are ready, /api/search will execute a proper vector search against Capella and return ranked results.

All the best,

Ben

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
iPaul
page 37 ANTLRInputStream input = new ANTLRInputStream(is); as of ANTLR 4 .8 should be: CharStream stream = CharStreams.fromStream(i...
New
jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
dsmith42
Hey there, I’m enjoying this book and have learned a few things alredayd. However, in Chapter 4 I believe we are meant to see the “>...
New
Henrai
Hi, I’m working on the Chapter 8 of the book. After I add add the point_offset, I’m still able to see acne: In the image above, I re...
New
davetron5000
Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and ar...
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New
New
dachristenson
I’ve got to the end of Ch. 11, and the app runs, with all tabs displaying what they should – at first. After switching around between St...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: