AufHe

AufHe

Agile Web Development with Rails 7: page 113 - Seeing the list of products

I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113.

Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of products

I am using windows 10 but when I attempt to run the ruby bin/dev command described for windows users,I see the error:
Traceback (Most recent call last)
ruby: no Ruby script found in input

Has anyone else seen this?
Any suggestions on how I can move forward.

I am able to start the server on its own, but for some reason can’t get that bin/dev script to run.

Thanks

Marked As Solved

rubys

rubys

Author of Agile Web Development With Rails

Looks like that was reported on Rails 4. I see another report from two years ago: tzinfo-data issue when starting new rails project - Stack Overflow with Rails 5. Now you are seeing it with Rails 7.

So it is not just you, but clearly is is not affecting every Windows user. Debugging this remotely is not going to be easy. And there always is the concern that once you solve this problem that will only prepare you to get to the point where you encounter the next problem.

I’m going to describe two options, and I’m going to encourage the first option, as that is what I use myself and am very happy with it.

First option

Most Rails developers use MacOS machines. Most Rails apps are deployed on Linux. This makes these two the preferred environments for Rails.

Windows 10 and above can run something called WSL2, which gives you a pristine Linux install. If you are running Windows 11, you can install WSL2 from the App Store. Otherwise, open a command prompt as administrator and run wsl --install. Go with the default Linux distribution (currently Ubuntu 20.04).

I highly recommend both Windows Terminal (also from the App Store) and Visual Studio Code (from the App Store for Windows 11 users, installable from the web site for everybody else).

The end result is literally seamless - you can edit your files using VS Code, run commands via Windows Terminal, and access your server via Microsoft Edge browser as localhost.

And because it is a separate environment, it is not affected by things you may have installed in the past, and won’t affect things you may install in the future. And you are not installing things from a third party - everything I listed above is from Microsoft.

And if you have questions, I am here to help as I have this installed myself (as well as “native” windows and Mac OS/X).

Option 2

For reasons I don’t yet understand, Rails is producing a Gemfile that doesn’t work for you. So what we need to do is to stop the installation process in the middle, correct the Gemfile, and then complete the installation. And Rails provides an option to do exactly that:

rails new depot --skip-bundle

Correct the Gemfile per instructions you can find on Stack Overflow and other places. And then proceed with the rest of the installation:

bundle install
bundle add tailwindcss-rails
bundle binstubs bundler
ruby bin/rails importmap:install
ruby bin/rails turbo:install stimulus:install
ruby bin/rails tailwindcss:install

This should get you to the exact place you would be if Rails had generated a Gemfile that worked for you. If you get this to work, I would suggest opening an issue with Rails so that they can fix it for others, and I would appreciate it if you shared that information with me, here, so that I can update the book in a way that may benefit others.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

belgoros
Following the steps described in Chapter 6 of the book, I’m stuck with running the migration as described on page 84: bundle exec sequel...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Latest in Agile Web Development with Rails 7

Agile Web Development with Rails 7 Portal ❯

Sub Categories: