mikecargal

mikecargal

Apple Game Frameworks and Technologies: Changes to GameScene+PhysicsContact

Title: Changes to GameScene+PhysicsContact

(I understand, it may be to late in your process to make such a change, but I’ll share here anyway, and would welcome feedback)

The GameScene+PhysicsContact extension was the source of one of my typos, and I also found the code to be quite “dense” to read.

I’m taking a bit of time at the end of Val’s Revenge to go in and make changes that seem good, but mainly to test that I’m getting the hang of Swift.

I added a couple of functions to factor out a lot of the common code and reduce the noise of reading the cases and then matching up the nodes. (On the plus side, my typo was accidentally having a collisionBitMask one place rather than a categoryBitMask (probably just a cursor key error with code completion, but I really don’t want to admit how long it took me to track that down). This code prevents that sort of error by placing it into the function where it’s done once, and will either be always right, or always wrong)

Anyway… as the tag says… Just a suggestion

This is my revised version of GameScene+PhysicsContact.swift:

import SpriteKit

extension GameScene: SKPhysicsContactDelegate {
    func match(_ contact: SKPhysicsContact, body: PhysicsBody) -> (match:SKNode, other:SKNode) {
        return contact.bodyA.categoryBitMask == body.categoryBitMask ?
            (contact.bodyA.node!, contact.bodyB.node!) :
            (contact.bodyB.node!, contact.bodyA.node!)
    }
    
    func collisionOf(_ bodyA :PhysicsBody, _ bodyB: PhysicsBody) -> UInt32 {
        bodyA.categoryBitMask | bodyB.categoryBitMask
    }

    func didBegin(_ contact: SKPhysicsContact) {
        let collision = contact.bodyA.categoryBitMask | contact.bodyB.categoryBitMask
        switch collision {
        // MARK: - Player | Collectible

        case collisionOf(.player,.collectible):
            let (playerNode, collectible) = match(contact, body: .player)

            if let player = playerNode as? Player {
                player.collectItem(collectible)
            }

        // MARK: - Player | Door

        case collisionOf(.player,.door):
            let (playerNode, door) = match(contact, body: .player)

            if let player = playerNode as? Player {
                player.useKeyToOpenDoor(door)
            }

        // MARK: - Projectile | Collectible

        case collisionOf(.projectile,.collectible):
            let (projectileNode, collectibleNode) = match(contact, body: .projectile)
            if let collectibleComponent = collectibleNode.entity?.component(ofType: CollectibleComponent.self) {
                collectibleComponent.destroyedItem()
            }
            projectileNode.removeFromParent()

        // MARK: - Player | Monster

        case collisionOf(.player,.monster):
            let (playerNode, _) = match(contact, body: .player)
            if let healthComponent = playerNode.entity?.component(ofType: HealthComponent.self) {
                healthComponent.updateHealth(-1, forNode: playerNode)
            }

        // MARK: - Projectile | Monster

        case collisionOf(.projectile,.monster):
            let (monsterNode, _) = match(contact, body: .monster)

            if let healthComponent = monsterNode.entity?.component(ofType: HealthComponent.self) {
                healthComponent.updateHealth(-1, forNode: monsterNode)
            }

            // MARK: - Player | Platform

        case collisionOf(.player,.exit):
            let (playerNode, _) = match(contact, body: .player)
            // update the saved stats
            if let player = playerNode as? Player {
                GameData.shared.keys = player.getStats().keys
                GameData.shared.treasure = player.getStats().treasure
            }

            GameData.shared.level += 1
            loadSceneForLevel(GameData.shared.level)
        default:
            break
        }
    }
}

First Post!

mikecargal

mikecargal

slight improvement to avoid “evil” ! unwraps.

import SpriteKit

extension GameScene: SKPhysicsContactDelegate {
    func match(_ contact: SKPhysicsContact, body: PhysicsBody) -> (match: SKNode, other: SKNode) {
        guard let nodeA = contact.bodyA.node,
              let nodeB = contact.bodyB.node
        else {
            fatalError("Expected contact bodies to both have attached nodes")
        }
        return contact.bodyA.categoryBitMask == body.categoryBitMask ?
            (nodeA, nodeB) :
            (nodeB, nodeA)
    }

    func collisionOf(_ bodyA: PhysicsBody, _ bodyB: PhysicsBody) -> UInt32 {
        bodyA.categoryBitMask | bodyB.categoryBitMask
    }

    func didBegin(_ contact: SKPhysicsContact) {
        let collision = contact.bodyA.categoryBitMask | contact.bodyB.categoryBitMask
        switch collision {
        // MARK: - Player | Collectible

        case collisionOf(.player, .collectible):
            let (playerNode, collectible) = match(contact, body: .player)

            if let player = playerNode as? Player {
                player.collectItem(collectible)
            }

        // MARK: - Player | Door

        case collisionOf(.player, .door):
            let (playerNode, door) = match(contact, body: .player)

            if let player = playerNode as? Player {
                player.useKeyToOpenDoor(door)
            }

        // MARK: - Projectile | Collectible

        case collisionOf(.projectile, .collectible):
            let (projectileNode, collectibleNode) = match(contact, body: .projectile)
            if let collectibleComponent = collectibleNode.entity?.component(ofType: CollectibleComponent.self) {
                collectibleComponent.destroyedItem()
            }
            projectileNode.removeFromParent()

        // MARK: - Player | Monster

        case collisionOf(.player, .monster):
            let (playerNode, _) = match(contact, body: .player)
            if let healthComponent = playerNode.entity?.component(ofType: HealthComponent.self) {
                healthComponent.updateHealth(-1, forNode: playerNode)
            }

        // MARK: - Projectile | Monster

        case collisionOf(.projectile, .monster):
            let (monsterNode, _) = match(contact, body: .monster)

            if let healthComponent = monsterNode.entity?.component(ofType: HealthComponent.self) {
                healthComponent.updateHealth(-1, forNode: monsterNode)
            }

            // MARK: - Player | Platform

        case collisionOf(.player, .exit):
            let (playerNode, _) = match(contact, body: .player)
            // update the saved stats
            if let player = playerNode as? Player {
                GameData.shared.keys = player.getStats().keys
                GameData.shared.treasure = player.getStats().treasure
            }

            GameData.shared.level += 1
            loadSceneForLevel(GameData.shared.level)
        default:
            break
        }
    }
}

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

belgoros
Following the steps described in Chapter 6 of the book, I’m stuck with running the migration as described on page 84: bundle exec sequel...
New
telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
raul
Page 28: It implements io.ReaderAt on the store type. Sorry if it’s a dumb question but was the io.ReaderAt supposed to be io.ReadAt? ...
New
HarryDeveloper
Hi @venkats, It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same eff...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
andreheijstek
After running /bin/setup, the first error was: The foreman' command exists in these Ruby versions: That was easy to fix: gem install fore...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New

Sub Categories: