bjnord

bjnord

Hands-on Rust: Chapter 3: Can't get first hello to run

Hello @herbert ! Trying to get the very first “Hello, Bracket Terminal!" example to run (p. 53). I develop on an Amazon EC2 instance running Amazon Linux 2 (their customized version of RHEL 7) and Rust 1.67.1

I’m using the exact code from FirstGameFlappyAscii/hello_bterm. If I compile and run that as-is, it blows up because I don’t have Wayland/X11/etc. on this box:

 Running `target/debug/flappy`
 thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to initialize any backend! Wayland status: NoCompositorListening X11 status: XOpenDisplayFailed', /home/bjn/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/winit-0.27.5/src/platform_impl/linux/mod.rs:719:9

The GitHub - amethyst/bracket-lib: The Roguelike Toolkit (RLTK), implemented for Rust. section on “Feature flags” says to disable default features and enable a different back-end. So first I tried this:

 $ grep feature Cargo.toml
 bracket-lib = { version = "~0.8.1", default-features = false, features = ["crossterm"] }

…but that failed with this:

 Running `target/debug/flappy`
 thread 'main' panicked at 'index out of bounds: the len is 5628 but the index is 6566', /home/bjn/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/bracket-terminal-0.8.7/src/hal/crossterm_be/main_loop.rs:229:25

And then I tried this:

 $ grep feature Cargo.toml
 bracket-lib = { version = "~0.8.1", default-features = false, features = ["curses"] }

…but that failed with this:

 Compiling bracket-terminal v0.8.7
 error[E0609]: no field `fitscreen` on type `curses::InitHints`
 --> /home/bjn/.cargo/registry/src/github.com-1ecc6299db9ec823/bracket-terminal-0.8.7/src/initializer.rs:455:29
 |
 455 |         self.platform_hints.fitscreen = fitscreen;
 |                             ^^^^^^^^^ help: a field with a similar name exists: `fullscreen`

Help? Thanks! Brent

First Post!

bjnord

bjnord

@herbert

Eventually I discovered I can get it to work by locking bracket-lib to 0.8.1 (looks like something has changed between that and the latest 0.8.7). The Cargo.toml that works for me now has:

[dependencies]
bracket-lib = { version = "=0.8.1", default-features = false, features = ["crossterm"] }
bracket-terminal = { version = "=0.8.1", default-features = false }

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
New
jamis
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
gilesdotcodes
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions: In Gemfile, change gem 'rails' t...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
jwandekoken
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below: d...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
dachristenson
I just bought this book to learn about Android development, and I’m already running into a major issue in Ch. 1, p. 20: “Update activity...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New

Sub Categories: