Keton

Keton

Hands-on Rust: How do I debug a call chain in Rust?

When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something was wrong in the call chain.

How would I go about debugging this call chain (ecs.entry_mut(*victim).unwrap()...)?

#[system]
#[read_component(WantsToAttack)]
#[read_component(Health)]
pub fn combat(ecs: &mut SubWorld, commands: &mut CommandBuffer) {
    ...
    victims.iter().for_each(|(message, victim)| {
        if let Ok(mut health) = ecs
            .entry_mut(*victim)
            .unwrap()
            .get_component_mut::<Health>()
        {
            println!("Health before attack: {}", health.current);
            ...
        }
        commands.remove(*message);
    });
}

After some comparing of source code, I found out that I had actually written read_component(Health) instead of write_component(Health).

#[system]
#[read_component(WantsToAttack)]
#[write_component(Health)]
pub fn combat(ecs: &mut SubWorld, commands: &mut CommandBuffer) {
    ...
}

This is my first encounter with Rust but I was surprised that this error slipped by the compiler. I expected similar error as if I hade left out some mut…

Most Liked

Red

Red

I don’t own this book so I cannot comment on the code, but here are a few tricks I use to debug chained methods and see the intermediate values. I’m using the IntelliJ plugin.

To just see the types at different point, the same techniques can be used - check values in a map, or split the chained method into several intermediate variables.

To take a dummy example:

    let values = vec!["one", "two", "three"];
    let values_str = values.iter()
        .enumerate()
        .map(|(i,s)| {
            format!("{}: {}", i + 1, s)      // <== breakpoint here
        })
        .collect::<Vec<_>>()
        .join(", ");                         // <== breakpoint here
    println!("Result: {}", values_str);

It’s possible to place a breakpoint on the map closure. Make sure to use a block with ‘{ … }’ and that the code is not on the same line. Otherwise, values are not visible:

        .map(|(i,s)| { format!("{}: {}", i + 1, s) }) // <== I cannot see anything

It’s also possible to put breakpoints on the lines after, but on the lines before it’s a bit tricky because it’s an iteration and there is no closure to expose any value. The debugger will stop but will not show anything. Sometimes you may be able to step into the function and catch something from there, but it’s tedious.

One way to look is to insert a dummy identity map. For example if I want to catch the values before the enumerate:

    let values_str = values.iter()
        .map(|x| {
            x                   // <== breakpoint here
        })
        .enumerate()
        .map(|(i,s)| { format!("{}: {}", i + 1, s) })
        .collect::<Vec<_>>()
        .join(", ");

You can even put a println!(), that’s usually easier than looking at the values in the debugger.

Another way is to simply split the calls and store the intermediate result in temporary variables. Note the clone() to avoid losing ownership on the intermediate data:

    let values = vec!["one", "two", "three"];
    let values_str_1 = values.iter()
        .enumerate();
    let debug = values_str_1.clone().collect::<Vec<_>>();
    let values_str = values_str_1                         // <== breakpoint
        .map(|(i,s)| { format!("{}: {}", i + 1, s) })
        .collect::<Vec<_>>()
        .join(", ");
    println!("Result: {}", values_str);

PS: I found out that with that plugin, you had disable the NatVis renderers if you examine the values in the LLDB view, otherwise you get a lot of warnings hindering the view:

herbert

herbert

Author of Hands-on Rust

Hi,

Thanks for reading the book!

Unfortunately, Legion (the ECS) is responsible for the World access (which is what the read_component is handling) - and doesn’t flag that one at compile time. I really wish it did!

The issue can be caught by changing the if let. if let is like a single-case match, so it’s only running the enclosed code if get_component_mut succeeds - and continues on its way if it fails.

get_component_mut returns a Result type. So you have a few options for handling this:

The simplest way, not very specific:

if let Ok(mut health) = ecs.entry_mut(*victim).unwrap().get_component_mut::<Health>() {
} else {
     // Print an error here
}

Using match:

match ecs.entry_mut(*victim).unwrap().get_component_mut::<Health>() {
    Ok(mut health) => { // do the health deduction }
    Err(msg) => { // Handle the error, msg will tell you what went wrong }
}

Or you can choose to crash when things go wrong (surprisingly helpful for debugging):

let mut victim = ecs.entry_mut(*victim).unwrap().get_component_mut::<Health>().unwrap();
// Health deduction code

Hope that helps!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex&gt; product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New
dachristenson
I’ve got to the end of Ch. 11, and the app runs, with all tabs displaying what they should – at first. After switching around between St...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: