AstonJ

AstonJ

Planck vs Preonic vs Subatomic (Keyboards)

I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me.

I think the Planck and the Preonic (or Subatomic - whenever it surfaces!) are going to be much better for me, here’s my pros and cons of each - have I missed anything? What are your thoughts?

Planck

  • 40% Keyboard (4 x 12)
  • Aesthetically pleasing
  • Very ‘cool’/futuristic looking

OLKB Planck vs Planck EZ

OLKB Planck is available from Drop and the Planck EZ is available from ZSA, they have some differences:

OLKB Planck (from Drop)

  • More case choice (other cases also available, or order with none)
  • More switch options (sold without so order your own)
  • More keycap options (order without then buy your own)
  • QMK Firmware
  • Self build (tho only takes 15 mins and no soldering required)
  • Bit taller, think with keys it’s 33mm
  • No RGB lighting (keys)
  • 1 year warranty
  • Slightly cheaper (unless you buy ‘nice’ keycaps/switches etc, which makes it more costly)

Planck EZ (from ZSA)

  • Plastic casing
  • RGB lighting
  • QMK Firmware
  • Can use Oryx to configure your keyboard
  • Shorter, at only 28mm tall with keys
  • Less ‘bezels’ around side = smaller footprint and arguably cleaner look
  • Some might say better built
  • Pre-built
  • 2 year warranty
  • Less customisable at purchase (no keycap options, limited switch options)
  • More expensive compared to stock Drop Planck with same switches

OLKB Preonic (from Drop)

  • 50% keyboard - has an additional number row (5 x 12)
  • Created by same person as the Planck
  • Same casing and switch options as Drop’s Planck

Subatomic

  • First mentioned a few years ago but still not available
  • Created by same person who created Planck and Preonic
  • Same as Preonic but will offer 2 additional columns (5 x 14)
  • Currently not available and no updates on when it will be

Reviews

Planck EZ

Planck Drop

Can’t find one atm, but here’s the build guide…

Preonic

Why 40% (/50%)

Plastic vs Metal case sound

Most Liked

svilen

svilen

Author of Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir

Ordered a Planck EZ today, fingers crossed we can get our hands on them soon @AstonJ :nerd_face:

SmithyTT

SmithyTT

What can you actually use them for?

Well, a rotary encoder twists clockwise and counter clockwise. It lends itself to actions that you’d otherwise need to repeatedly press a button for, and to actions that have both a forward and a reverse direction. For example:

  • Audio control, to turn the volume up or down;
  • Scrolling, to scroll up or down a page or document with Page Up and Page Down;
  • Tabbing, to go to the previous or next browser tab with for example Control Tab and Control Shift Tab;
  • Window movement, to go to the previous or next window with Alt Tab and Alt Shift Tab;
  • History scrubbing, to perform undo and redo;
  • Scrolling horizontally by word, with Control Arrow Left and Control Arrow Right (if you hold down shift while turning the encoder, you can select words too!);
  • Scrolling through search results, with Find Next and Find Previous when you map the encoder actions to your text editor’s shortcuts.

Of course, you can program them to do anything. I’ve seen people program common text snippets so you can enter text with the simple turn of the encoder.

Korbin73

Korbin73

I have both the Preonic and the Planck. Between the 2, I prefer the Preonic mostly because I didn’t want to access my numbers with a layer (that was just personal preference). I bought the Preonic with a polycarbonate case which was not available with the Planck. I would recommend a super quiet switch like Bobas U4s due to how load the plank case is: https://www.rgbkb.net/products/rgb-silent-tactile-switch

I’m more partial to split boards since I find them far more comfortable, so neither one of my one piece boards will be my daily drivers.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
First poster: bot
One of the questions I often come back to is this: how much of our collective wealth is inherited by our generations versus created by ou...
New
AstonJ
I have been using a glossy monitor (LG5K) for over a year now and I swear it is affecting my eyesight. I heard that it can happen as it’...
New
dwaynebradley
Has anyone see this one yet: Now granted, this one is VERY new but the modularity is really nice if they can make a go of it as a comp...
New
First poster: bot
Today Marvell is announcing the first NVMe SSD controllers to support PCIe 5.0, and a new branding strategy for Marvell’s storage control...
New
First poster: AstonJ
If you kept a close eye on the Apple vs. Epic Games trial, you might be wondering: How the hell did we get to this point, where a phone m...
New
AstonJ
I love my Kindle Oasis for reading, but unfortunately it’s not great for technical books as you often need to click on a link or do a qui...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in buying one as the second monitor for my Thinkpad while I am travelling: Anyone has experience in using on...
New
bsrtech
Blame AI! Samsung’s reported 100% QoQ increase in NAND Flash contract prices in Q1 2026 confirms a structural shift in the memory market....
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New