AstonJ

AstonJ

Can AI/ML predict a lottery win?

Biggest jackpot ever apparently! :upside_down_face:

I don’t (usually) gamble/play the lottery, but working on a program to predict the numbers could be fun!

Although it didn’t involve any ML I actually made a Mac app once that was a lottery number generator and it actually sold pretty well on the App Store :lol:

Most Liked

mindriot

mindriot

It would appear that they do still use the balls in a tumbler. You can watch the draws online, here is a link for the draw in question

In terms of the physical properties of the balls, it would only really make a difference if the same set was used each time. If they use a new set each time (or change them with reasonable frequency) then you would not be able to find patterns caused by uneven wear or the likes. I guess you might find something with manufacturing quality or perhaps the weight differences by variable amounts of printing on the surface. I’d imagine even if you were able to glean some kind of advantage from this kind of analysis it would be extremely slight and quite an expensive endeavour to try get anything out of it.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That’s just pure statistics, nothing AI could make better unless it wasn’t actually truly random, lol.

It would be thrown off by unfairness, but statistics can identify that too much more easily.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I was just about to post the same video Toby :lol:

If the universe is a mathematical object, then perhaps it’s only a matter of time? In fact I think we are so primitive in what we know, that (if as a species we survive) in just one thousand years people will look back at us now in a similar way as we look at early humans of 200,000 years ago or even our closest relatives of a couple million - the pace of advancement is going to speed up exponentially imo.

But maybe that’s a topic for another thread :upside_down_face:

Where Next?

Popular Other Fields topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Self-driving cars, natural language recognition, and online recommendation engines are all possible thanks to Machine Learning. Discover...
New
AstonJ
Probably only a delay of the inevitable - with facial-recognition systems already part of daily lives in countries such as China, how lon...
New
AstonJ
Is this the future of photography - or spying even :joy: Creating realistic 3D photo-models from a series of photographs - in this case ...
New
First poster: bot
As a student, when I was starting to seriously consider Data Science (DS) as a career option, the first thing that came to mind was where...
New
First poster: bot
We introduce the problem of perpetual view generation —long-range generation of novel views corresponding to an arbitrarily long camera t...
New
CommunityNews
“Markpainting” is a clever technique to watermark photos in such a way that makes it easier to detect ML-based manipulation: An image o...
New
First poster: bot
The Modern Mathematics of Deep Learning. We describe the new field of mathematical analysis of deep learning. This field emerged around...
New
AstonJ
Biggest jackpot ever apparently! :upside_down_face: I don’t (usually) gamble/play the lottery, but working on a program to predict the...
New
ManningBooks
With Grokking Statistics, you’ll build a strong foundation in statistical analysis by working through engaging mini projects that put eac...
New
ManningBooks
Timeless Algorithms: The Seminal Papers explains both the how and the why of the most important data science algorithms. Along with the t...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New