foxtrottwist

foxtrottwist

Warp—The blazingly fast, Rust-based terminal

A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tabs can’t be reordered, I am unable to use my beloved starship prompt, etc…) I absolutely love Warp’s out of box features. Among them nice text editing features, completions and a cmd palette.

Most Liked

Maartz

Maartz

Seems to be an all-in solution compared to Launching Fig - #18 by Maartz
@OvermindDL1 still not OSS.
What’s the thing behind these “new and disruptive” terminal tools?

AstonJ

AstonJ

We should do a book-hands-on-rust book club at some point? I got the book already :lol: (Can get you a copy if you like :023:)

Thanks for the early access code! :orange_heart:

For anyone interested here’s the current set of features:

It does look really nice, but my only issue is (as it is with other apps like VSCode) is that they want to connect to their servers:

Apps really only should connect when you specifically ask them to imo. In TextMate for example will only connect if you have set it to check for daily updates or when you specifically click on ‘check for update’.

I think I have trust issues :lol:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Those are controlled by the shell, not the terminal, if a terminal were to override those then it would break a lot of other inputs. Almost every shell let’s you change those for note, so if you want to, then change it in your shell. ^.^


Warp is… such a very poor name to pick though, there’s already a warp library in rust that is a web server framework. They really should have looked at used names before picking that one…

o.O What the ever-living… Why would a terminal ever need to access sites like that?!?

If I saw that in my logs I’d immediately wonder if it was infected or something!


And yeah, there is no reason, whatsoever, ever, for a terminal not to be open source. Even Microsoft of all places has open sourced their terminal. Terminal’s are such security troublesome points that you really really need to make certain that it’s not something that’s going to be sending what you type to random servers, or really even making network connections on its own at all (that’s the job of the shells or whatever you’re running in it, a terminal is just a renderer and IO pipe)…

And their site forcing some links to open in new windows is extremely user-hostile, why would they do that?!? >.<


Speaking of, their ‘benchmark’ graph has a couple of massive outliers of terminals called hyper and iterm (neither of which I’ve ever heard of? Why were such poor ones picked?), which massively skewed the rest of the results way way down to the bottom so you can’t actually compare it with the one other that I’ve ever heard of, out of the multiple dozens of terminals I use per month that one other that I’d heard of looks like it’s much much faster than warp but hard to tell since they are all squished into such tiny lines because of hyper/iterm. The massively mis-scaled chart makes it look so questionable (like at the very least they should have made it logarithmic if they wanted those massive outliers in, really makes it look like they are trying to hide something)…

Also, there is already a GPU accelerated terminal (in their benchmark even, the only one in it that I’d heard of, and happened to be the one that looked like it was beating it by a healthy percentage), so why didn’t they just base it on that one (especially since its faster), or did they not because then they would be forced to make it open source, lol.

Let’s see, it used the vtebench benchmark, well, just the scrolling one inside of it, none of the other (usually far more performance hitting) ones, wonder why they picked the easiest/cheapest one… Well let’s grab it as I don’t have it on this (very not up to date) system, aaand let’s runs it (I was also compiling a C++ application for the past half hour on the same machine so this probably slowed it down a bit, but even still):
So trying it with konsole and alacritty (alacritty as a base example as they used it as well in their benchmark):


And for comparison, here was their image:

So alacritty here is obviously slower than on their machine, which makes sense because this is not at all a modern machine (quite frankly ancient in many aspects), and in comparison even my most used (lots of features) Konsole terminal is not that much slower, and in their benchmark warp seems to be much much slower than alacritty by a much larger amount. Even in just raw values (not taking into account how much slower this machine very likely is) even Konsole, which is not built for speed but rather features, is substantially faster that most of their tests… o.O And again, why just the scrolling test considering how utterly trivial it is?!?

Still though, the closed source’ness of it with such a hugely hugely security conscious interface makes me quite frankly very itchy… (do you really want a terminal potentially broadcasting what you type out or what is displayed back, whether messages, proprietary code, passwords, PGP keys, etc… etc…, because how do you verify it doesn’t? Why does a terminal emulator even have network functionality at all?!?)

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

wolf4earth
Inspired by this thread about arcade games - which I initially misread as favorite arcade game soundtracks - I wanted to ask about your f...
New
AstonJ
If so, what was the last blog post you wrote… and if not, why not?
New
Exadra37
Cloudflare as workers to run serverless code without using containers: So it seems that Isolates is based on: What we ended up settl...
New
AstonJ
Curious to know which languages and frameworks you’re all thinking about learning next :upside_down_face: Perhaps if there’s enough peop...
New
New
New
AstonJ
Just wondering whether you have a preference (I know I do!) poll
New
TwistingTwists
Hello Fellow developers, I have been trying to wrap my head around How difficult would it have been to be a dev 20-30 years ago? I have...
New
jaeyson
Hi all, does anybody tried Shankar Devy’s Phoenix Inside Out book series? Also, will there be a big difference (aside from context prior...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New