jon

jon

The Pragmatic Programmer, 20th Anniversary Edition errata

Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online:

p. 186 But Erlang (and it’s progeny … should be: its

p. 205 chart O(n ln n) should be: O(n lg n)

p. 221 Ad Hoc Testing “run poke at our code manually”: I’m not sure exactly what is meant here. Maybe leave out “run”: poke at our code manually

p. 222 “Ignore a spew … makes it easier to ignore all the tests”: not sure what this means. “Ignore a spew”?

p. 226 “raise Exception”: needs to be indented two more spaces (significant in Python)

Most Liked

Juanadelacuesta

Juanadelacuesta

Hello!!!

I also notice on the possible answer for the exercise 8 (page 297, solution in ruby of the time parser) the regular expression for the tenths of minutes includes 6, so hours like 6:66 pm are valid.

Sereger

Sereger

p. 120 - in the second code snippet there seems to be one missing statement:
write_customer between the following two lines:

@balance = @balance.add(transaction_amount, 2)        #    |
# --> here, I think, write_customer call is missing
file.close                                            #  <--
zois-tasoulas

zois-tasoulas

Hi,
I also noticed the following (book with ISBN-13: 978-0-13-595705-9):

  • page 140, in the code for strings_fsm.rb, for the state in_string, I think the matching character should be a single backslash instead of two.
  • page 160, “When the top level calls my_car.move_at(30) , the method …”, the object name (my_car) does not align with the top-level code example (my_ride). I think one of the two should be changed so they align.
  • page 196, “But it applies to the bigger picture are well”, I think instead of “are” there should be “as”.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
johnp
Running the examples in chapter 5 c under pytest 5.4.1 causes an AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘config’. In particula...
New
jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
cro
I am working on the “Your Turn” for chapter one and building out the restart button talked about on page 27. It recommends looking into ...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Sub Categories: