GilWright

GilWright

Apple Game Frameworks and Technologies: Screen image may be wrong (p 13)

Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill the landscape screen when run in the simulator against an iPhone 11 Pro Max (as recommended earlier in the text). This may be an Xcode related problem. I have noted occasional problems with the menu bar not going away but this time the actual grey box is not filling the screen - it actually looks like a scaled down iPad screen. It works correctly on any of the iPads that I tested.

Xcode 12.0 beta 4 on MacOS 11 (20A5343i)

Marked As Solved

Paradox927

Paradox927

Author and Editor at PragProg

Hey, there! Sorry for the delayed response. I thought I had notifications set up for Devtalk, but I guess not.

Anyway, with Xcode 12, at least the beta version, you’ll need to add a new plist entry, “Launch screen interface file base name”. You can either add this entry and set its value to “Main” or create a custom LaunchScreen.storyboard file and set its value to “LaunchScreen”.

If that doesn’t work, let me know. I may have misunderstood the problem/question.

Also Liked

GilWright

GilWright

Same comment applies to the screen shot on p15 - it is still the aspect ratio of an iPad with black bars to the left and right.

GilWright

GilWright

Adding the debug on scene.size - the 11 Pro Max reports 480x320, iPad Pro 12.9" reports 1024x768, iPhone 11 Pro (not Max, real phone) reports 480x320.

cocojas

cocojas

I’ve also created a bug with Apple that the game template doesn’t set itself up correctly. The multi-target game template does, so I think it’s just a miss on their part, or they can’t decide whether they want to use a launch storyboard or the new info plist dictionary to set it up.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
HarryDeveloper
Hi @venkats, It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same eff...
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
jskubick
I’m running Android Studio “Arctic Fox” 2020.3.1 Patch 2, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I only made it to page 8 before running into ...
New
akraut
The markup used to display the uploaded image results in a Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError error. lib/pento_web/live/product_l...
New
AufHe
I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113. Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of prod...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
New
dachristenson
I’ve got to the end of Ch. 11, and the app runs, with all tabs displaying what they should – at first. After switching around between St...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: