dPhong31415

dPhong31415

What’s a good list of Elixir books recommended for beginners?

Hey everyone :waving_hand:

I’ve just recently discovered Elixir, and honestly—it’s been mind-blowing so far (coming from a React background). I’m really excited to dive deeper, learn the language properly, and start building web apps that integrate AI models (working with inference, APIs, and possibly fine-tuning down the road).

I’d love to hear your recommendations on Elixir books for beginners—whether it’s for grasping the language fundamentals, building web apps with Phoenix, or just getting into functional programming with Elixir in general.

What would you recommend as a solid starting list?

Thanks in advance for sharing :folded_hands:

Most Liked

jss

jss

Programming Elixir 1.6 from pragprog.com should be a good one. Most Elixir/Phoenix books from them are often recommended.

chris.johan

chris.johan

If you already have some years of experience in another programming language, then Elixir in Action 3rd edition from Manning Publications should be a good start.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I’ll copy my post from EF here…


I’ll repost links to what I’ve said about books I’ve read (I recommend all of them)…

That last one is an excellent look into functional programming :023:

Never got around to finishing Programming Phoenix - but here’s a quick interim review of it:

Started doing Pragmatic Studio’s LiveView Course too but again haven’t had time to finish it (but I loved it and look forward to getting back into it when I’ve got time to get back into it all):

I want to get through all of the Elixir books if I can and would recommend others try to as well, there’s always something invaluable to glean from them :icon_biggrin:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Jase
Any opinions on the best platform for dev-friendly blogging?
New
AstonJ
Stopwords are words that you normally filter for things like search queries, such as ‘as’, ‘because’ etc - there are a few online, but I ...
New
DevotionGeo
The version of Java installed with Android Studio on my Mac is the following (when I run java -version) openjdk version "1.8.0_242-relea...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PaulMartin
Hey everyone! Do you have any tips or free resources that can help me learn Rspec? Although I know how to write some Rspec, I’m not very...
New
thetoaderseventytwo
I’ve been trying to dip my feet into using Unity and C# for the sake of developing games, however, I have barely any knowledge of how to ...
New
harwind
Given an array of integers, find the length of the longest increasing subsequence. A subsequence is a sequence that can be derived from a...
New
harwind
I am working on a Python script, and you encounter an error related to the misuse of lists and tuples. Here’s a simplified version of you...
New
jaeyson
Hi! I received an email from shopperapproved.com, I’ll copy-pasta here: Hi , Would you be willing to help future Manning.com customers...
New
johnnaa
Hey everyone, I’ve been looking for the best standing desk lately because I’m tired of sitting all day working from home. i read reviews...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New