dasdom

dasdom

Author of Build Location-Based Projects for iOS

Standing Desks

No chair. I have a standing desk.


This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:

Most Liked

Cellane

Cellane

I used to have a standing desk at my last company in the Czech Republic, but as soon as I moved to Japan, I had to suffer through three years of teeny tiny desks with barely enough space to put my legs under, paired with minuscule space on the desk itself, barely enough to fit a laptop and a small external display. Until recently, I have been living in apartments of such size that would not allow me to set up a standing desk (or any sort of office desk for that matter) either, but finally, since last month’s moving to a new house, I could go back to a quite comfortable setup, as shown below :arrow_heading_down:





Just like many commenters above me, I definitely can’t stand all day long, but I try to dedicate at least one hour a day to work while standing. In fact, let me start my daily hour just now!

(I really wanted to get a white display to match the keyboard, and to eventually replace the mouse with a white one as well, but don’t even get me started on the availability of reasonable ultra-wide displays in this crazy country. Samsung, for example, is completely dead in this country due to the idiotic stunt their marketing department tried a couple of years ago, and other foreign brands are no longer available here, for whatever reason.)

dasdom

dasdom

Author of Build Location-Based Projects for iOS

It’s a very cheap one from IKEA. No motor because I think it’s strange to have a desk that needs power. Since a few days I switch between standing and sitting several times a day. For the moment I use a normal chair from the living room. I like the process of cranking it up and down to get away from the code for one or two minutes.

It definitely helps with my back and with my concentration.

dasdom

dasdom

Author of Build Location-Based Projects for iOS

I don’t think so. I would rather make activity breaks.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
The obligatory speed test thread :smiley: Check here: https://www.speedtest.net When complete, click on the share link and copy and pas...
New
AstonJ
Thread to discuss ideas and thoughts on how developers might be able help in the Coronavirus pandemic.
New
AstonJ
What do you think needs fixing in the digital / computer science sphere?
New
AstonJ
Just been adding some more portals, currently have the following languages: Apache Groovy C C# C++ Clojure CoffeeScript Crystal ...
New
Exadra37
I am a Linux user since 2012, more or less, and I always use Ubuntu on my computers, and my last 2 laptops have been used Thinkpads, wher...
New
AstonJ
Hi everyone… I’m so sorry about the delay in getting this thread up, I’ve just been so busy :see_no_evil: Are there any book clubs you’d...
New
AstonJ
Maybe a specific language or framework? Or a book or tool perhaps? What’s made your life easier and what do you think could make the live...
New
ohm
I just switched jobs to tech lead with a small team of about 6 other developer. This is my first tech lead job. What do I need to know? A...
New
harwind
I’m developing a web-based application that uses Java servlets to make RPC calls. I’m searching for a solid technique to dispatch and ha...
New
AstonJ
Curious whether you remap your Caps Lock. Do you remap your Caps Lock key? poll I have no idea what Globe is btw, just seen it in the ma...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New