dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Open datasets that are in SQLite format or convertible to it?

Hey everyone,
I resumed work on my Elixir <=> SQLite library (which uses a Rust NIF underneath) and I am in a need of small and well-structured open datasets, preferably directly saved as an SQLite DB – but they could very well be everything else, as long as they can be easily and quickly converted to SQLite.

I downloaded the much-known Chinook DB but it’s a bit too big for my tastes. I plan to bundle a small DB with my library so end-to-end integration tests can be ran on it and that means that the DB must be extremely minimal (no more than 100KB).

Any ideas are appreciated.

(Cross-posting to ElixirForum for visibility.)

Marked As Solved

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Figured I’ll settle on this one, I liked it: https://www.sqltutorial.org/sql-sample-database/

There are links to two files at the bottom that (a) create the tables and (b) populate them. (And the resulting sqlite3 db file is 40KB)

Also Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Lately did some Rust code reorganization. Next up is finding a minimal locking implementation since sqlite3 is quite liberal with locks (but even it can break if several very particular operations are done in parallel – even if they are allowed by sqlite3).

Still, for an MVP I want something that’s with zero locking lag.

To be fair, the Elixir part seems quite easy – albeit laborous. I am prioritizing making the Rust code to be the best possible first.

axelson

axelson

https://datasette.io/ Has some great sample SQLite datasets listed in their getting started.

I’m looking forward to trying out xqlite!

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Here’s a page that links to one that’s not bad (49KB): https://www.w3resource.com/sqlite-exercises/

Link to the DB itself: https://www.w3resource.com/sqlite-exercises/hr

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
Jsdr3398
Are there any databases that require no setup (can be shipped in a small zip together with the project)?
New
andrea
Can Phoenix LiveView be used in multi-page applications, unlike React/Vue/Blazor which seems to be targeted for SPA?
New
Jsdr3398
I’ve been working on and rewriting my messaging platform several times for the past two years. With Discords new rebranding, it has reall...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am now trying Gradual type checking, as a consequence I am giving a shot to Gradient. As I see it, this is an alternative to...
New
conradwt
Hi, I’m building an application that will have support for both the web and mobile. At this time, I’m using PhxGenAuth for authenticatio...
New
sona11
In Java, if I try to do.equals() on a null string, a null pointer error is issued. I’m wondering whether I can perform the following if I...
New
harwind
I’m presently working on a backend development project to build a RESTful API using Python and Flask. The Scaler backend developer site h...
New
yamuna
Hi everyone, I’m trying to run deepseek-coder:6.7b-instruct-q4_K_M in Docker using Ollama to create an LLM that will be used by CrewAI a...
New
Shiny
Hey community, this is my first post here so I will try to be as concise as possible and I appreciate any feedback. I’ve been writing Ro...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New