Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Gradient does not recognize type of TypedStruct structures

Background

I have a module that uses TypedStruct to create structs. This is the code:

defmodule Shared.Data.Authorization do
  @moduledoc """
  Saves authorization details for a user. It also contains other details.
  """

  use TypedStruct

  alias Shared.Utils.Structs

  @type authorization :: %{
          (cookie :: String.t()) => String.t(),
          (token :: String.t()) => String.t()
        }

  @derive Jason.Encoder
  typedstruct enforce: true do
    @typedoc "Authorization information for a user"

    field(:cookie, String.t())
    field(:token, String.t())
  end

  @spec new(authorization()) :: __MODULE__.t()
  def new(%{"cookie" => cookie, "token" => token} = auth)
      when is_binary(cookie) and is_binary(token) do
    Structs.string_map_to_struct(auth, __MODULE__)
  end
end

The problem here is that Gradient does not seem to understand that t() is created, so it errors out:

 lib/data/authorization.ex: The function call on line 26 is expected to have type t() but it has type struct()
 24   def new(%{"cookie" => cookie, "token" => token} = auth)
 25       when is_binary(cookie) and is_binary(token) do
 26     Structs.string_map_to_struct(auth, __MODULE__)
 27   end

For additional context, here is the string_map_to_struct code:

  @spec string_map_to_struct(map, module | struct) :: struct
  def string_map_to_struct(data, target_struct) do
    data
    |> Morphix.atomorphiform!() # string_map to atom_map
    |> data_to_struct(target_struct)
  end

  @spec data_to_struct(Enumerable.t(), module | struct) :: struct
  def data_to_struct(data, target_struct), do: struct(target_struct, data)

Temporary fix

I decided to convert that code into its native form using defstruct:

defmodule Shared.Data.Authorization do
  @moduledoc """
  Saves authorization details for a user. It also contains other details.
  """

  alias Shared.Utils.Structs

  @enforce_keys [:cookie, :token]
  defstruct [:cookie, :token]

  @type authorization :: %{
          (cookie :: String.t()) => String.t(),
          (token :: String.t()) => String.t()
        }

  @typedoc "Authorization information for a user"
  @type t() :: %__MODULE__{
          cookie: String.t(),
          token: String.t()
        }

  @spec new(authorization()) :: t()
  def new(%{"cookie" => cookie, "token" => token} = auth)
      when is_binary(cookie) and is_binary(token) do
    Structs.string_map_to_struct(auth, __MODULE__)
  end
end

Gradient does not complain here.

Question

Is there a fix for this?
(other than removing typed struct?)

Most Liked

mafinar

mafinar

It’s cool that you also raised issue here: Gradient does not recognize type of TypedStruct structures · Issue #165 · esl/gradient · GitHub I am adding this as comment so that anyone coming to this post can go and follow the progress there. I myself am interested in this one. Thanks.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

I usually update both threads if/when the issue is solved, so I got you covered there :stuck_out_tongue:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
New
s2k
I have this code in a file that’s used to … render templates. require 'erb' require 'ostruct' MISSING_CONFIG_MARKER = :config_key_and_v...
New
TwistingTwists
Hello Folks, I am a novice developer from India. Intending to learn Elixir and web apps (phoenix framework). What are things that I MUS...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background While playing around with dialyzer, typespecs and currying, I was able to create an example of a false positive in dialyzer. ...
New
JimmyCarterSon
I am following this tutorial . I have followed carefully correcting errors as I go. The app allows you to create a blog post and add comm...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have recently been delving into more functional code. My objective right now is to get something similar to the IO Monad (in...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a personal project that is an elixir desktop application for PC Windows. It works pretty well, but now I want to give i...
New
sona11
I’m having a difficulty. I want to modify an attribute’s data type from String to Array. { “id”: “trn:tarb:tradingpartner:uuid:00000...
New
harwind
I have a large SQL database with millions of records, and I’ve identified duplicate entries. What’s the most efficient way to find and re...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New