Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

How to typespec guards in a human friendly way?

Background

I am a fan of dialyzer and friends (looking at Gradient) and I try to have sepcs in my code as much as I can. To this end, I am playing with guards and I want my guard definitions to also have a typespec:

defmodule AuctionHouse.Shared.ExtraGuards do
  @moduledoc """
  Contains additional guards to use in functions.
  """

  defguard is_pos_integer(value) when is_integer(value) and value > 0
end

Problem

So, now that I have this simple guard, I want a spec for it. However, dyalizer’s suggestion doesn’t strike me as exactly human readable.

@spec is_pos_integer(any) ::
          {:__block__ | {:., [], [:andalso | :erlang, ...]}, [],
           [{:= | {any, any, any}, list, [...]}, ...]}
defguard is_pos_integer(value) when is_integer(value) and value > 0

I believe this is likely defined as a function that takes any as an argument but the return type is very difficult for me to understand. I assume it means it creates erlang code, like a macro, but I can’t make sense of it.

Questions

  • What does the return type mean?
  • Is there a way to make this more human readable? If so, how?

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Solution

What’s happening here is that defguard receives code and returns code (to be more specific, it both receives a AST representation of code and then returns that AST modified). As as consequence, this means that the correct typespec would be this:

@spec is_pos_integer(Macro.t()) :: Macro.t()

Which many people in the community defend is not very useful.
I agree with this consensus, so the next best option is to add a @doc to the guard to clearly document it, and is what I suggest as well.

Sources:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

ohm
Does anybody have good learning resources with regards to going into Event Driven Design, Architecture or Sourcing? I got recommended Er...
New
mrmurphy
I’ve run into a situation where I’ve got a list of posts inside of a container that uses phx-update=“prepend”, and the posts on the socke...
New
MarkIden
Hi, Recommend pls your favorite learning resources in Go, with best books, podcasts etc.
/go
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background PS: the following situation describes an hypothetical scenario, where I own a company that sells things to customers. I have ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am moving towards defined data structures in my application, and I find that TypedStruct is quite useful. Questions Howeve...
New
harwind
In C, how they are different? char str[] = "xyz"; // statement //and char str[4] = "xyz"; // statement The first, i...
/c
New
harwind
I received this error for a binary search programme in C, despite the fact that it requested for inputs and produced the right output. Th...
/c
New
Sumityadav
Hello all, I am new to learning Java Programming and want to learn java from scratch. I was writing a Java program to get the first and l...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a phoenix application in Windows 11. Unfortunately for me, I cannot compile the application because of a dependency err...
New
harwind
I’m presently working on a backend development project to build a RESTful API using Python and Flask. The Scaler backend developer site h...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New