Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Dialyzer cannot recognize types from dependencies

Background

I have an umbrella app where I use a dependecy called ETS. This dependency has a type called set_options that I use in some of my specs.

Problem

The code works fine, but dialyzer is complaining. Namely:

lib/web_interface/persistence.ex:11:20:unknown_type
Unknown type: ETS.set_options/0.
________________________________________________________________________________
lib/web_interface/persistence.ex:11:65:unknown_type
Unknown type: ETS.t/0.

Which then cause a ton of cascading errors.

To try and fix this, I added the following to my root mix.exs file (the one from the umbrella app, not the one from the child app):

  def project,
    do: [
      apps_path: "apps",
      version: "2.1.7",
      start_permanent: Mix.env() == :prod,
      deps: deps(),
      dialyzer: [
        plt_add_deps: :app_direct,
        plt_add_apps: [
          :ets
        ],
        plt_core_path: "plts",
        plt_local_path: "plts"
      ]
    ]

And then run:

  • mix dialyzer --plt
  • mix dialyzer

This did not work and the output was the same.

I then tried adding this to the mix.exs of the child app in question (alongside the previous changes):

  def application do
    [
      mod: {WebInterface.Application, []},
      extra_applications: [:logger, :ets]
    ]
  end

Unfortunately, nothing worked and I still get the same dialyzer errors.

Question

How can I fix dialyzer so it recognized types from my dependencies?

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Turns out this was an error from my side, namely I was not interpreting the documentation correctly.

The correct types are:

  • ETS.KeyValueSet.set_options()
  • ETS.KeyValueSet.t()
  • ETS.table_identifier()

This was more apparent from reading the source code as posted in this thread:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

chasekaylee
Hi there everyone! Recently, I have fallen in love with programming with Elixir and have been having so much fun with it. I have been do...
New
New
pillaiindu
Cross posting from HashNode. A friend of mine is creating Uber-like app for a small company with 200 to 1000 cars. The app will operate ...
New
Jsdr3398
Are there any databases that require no setup (can be shipped in a small zip together with the project)?
New
GermaVinsmoke
Reading Programming Elixir 1.6 book, I’ve completed part 1 of the book. Now I’m thinking of reading Elixir in Action. What do you all sug...
New
gagan7995
API 4 Path: /user/following/ Method: GET Description: Returns the list of all names of people whom the user follows Response [ { ...
New
JimmyCarterSon
Hello, I am. very new to Elixir lang I have only been doing it for about 2 weeks. I recently started following this tutorial todo list, ...
New
jeya
Dear Geeks I am new to pytest. I am following a youtube channel. I am writing the same code. learning to test login functionality of an...
New
Sumityadav
Hello all, I am new to learning Java Programming and want to learn java from scratch. I was writing a Java program to get the first and l...
New
harwind
I have a large SQL database with millions of records, and I’ve identified duplicate entries. What’s the most efficient way to find and re...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New