AstonJ
Psql: error: connection to server on socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: No such file or directory
If you’re getting errors like this:
psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory
See post below!
Marked As Solved
AstonJ
If you’ve tried the usual of:
$ brew services stop postgresql
$ rm /usr/local/var/postgres/postmaster.pid
$ brew services start postgresql # Or: brew services restart postgresql
…and banged your head a lot, you may find it’s your Mac! Go to:
System Settings > General > Login Items and Extensions > Allow in the Background
To check if you have postgres listed and that it is on!
And if your system is a bit messed up (like mine, thank you Apple!) you may even have TWO!!! BOTH of these must be ON!!
Hope this helps someone! ![]()
1
Popular Backend topics
At work we plan to replace a totally overkill Kafka instance with a combination of SNS and SQS. I don’t want to get into a discussion on ...
New
Are there any good resources of using CQRS/EventSourcing in an Elixir/Phoenix application?
New
API 4
Path:
/user/following/
Method:
GET
Description:
Returns the list of all names of people whom the user follows
Response
[
{ ...
New
Background
I am trying to get a Github Action working with Windows and Bakeware because I am trying to create a release using it.
Howeve...
New
Background
While playing around with dialyzer, typespecs and currying, I was able to create an example of a false positive in dialyzer.
...
New
Background
I am trying to up my Functional Programming (FP) skills and one of the things that newcomers first learn in FP is the Option T...
New
Background
I am trying out polymorphic typing with dialyzer. As an example I am using the famous Option type (aka, Maybe Monad) that is n...
New
In Java, if I try to do.equals() on a null string, a null pointer error is issued. I’m wondering whether I can perform the following if I...
New
Background
When trying to execute mix release on a Windows 11 machine for a Phoenix project I get the following error:
* assembling mark...
New
Background
I have a release file inside a tarball. However I want the final release to have some additional files and to move things aro...
New
Other popular topics
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
Algorithms and data structures are much more than abstract concepts. Mastering them enables you to write code that runs faster and more e...
New
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux:
I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Author Spotlight
Jamis Buck
@jamis
This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
Author Spotlight
Mike Riley
@mriley
This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
Author Spotlight:
Bruce Tate
@redrapids
Programming languages always emerge out of need, and if that’s not always true, they’re defin...
New
Big O Notation can make your code faster by orders of magnitude. Get the hands-on info you need to master data structures and algorithms ...
New
Latest in Ruby on Rails
Latest in PostgreSQL
Backend>Questions
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /nodejs
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /lua
- /quarkus
- /diversity
- /laravel










