Exadra37

Exadra37

RancherOS is in end of life

Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as such and only alerts the users that are paying for their services:

This lack of transparency from them it’s just… I don’t know what to call it, but I am really pissed off :rage:

An active fork already exists but no idea if I should go with it or just run Debian or Alpine to run my Docker containers behind Traefik.

Fork here:

Most Liked

Exadra37

Exadra37

So, bare-metal Linux would be great to just run my production Elixir Phoenix apps, but a minimal docker based Linux is great for development and online playground.

Something that can do both well while having a very small footprint would be great.

My main goal is to find a distro that just has the packages I really need, not a bunch of bloatware that just add security concerns.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Yep, same here. I’ll follow your comments or posts (if you post) on the topic. Sadly I don’t have much bandwidth now but I am after the same thing. I am looking into spending ~3000 EUR for a mid-range headless Linux workstation (but will still operate it through my iMac Pro; world-class display after all! plus don’t want to buy a third set of keyboard+mouse :laughing:) and want to heavily utilize Docker/Podman and Kubernetes/Nomad on it.

For that, I really want the absolute minimal Linux for containers (though I would be overjoyed if its super-minimal size can be translated to bare-metal but it’s not my priority).

Exadra37

Exadra37

Well Rancher products normally use docker-machine in the examples, thus they must be developed in Macs :wink:

No idea about the others…

Here it his an interesting explanation about the SmartOS virtualization at the Operating System level:

https://wiki.smartos.org/smartos-virtualization/

Joyent SmartMachines are Based on Solaris Zones

Which gives us:

  • CPU scheduling
  • network virtualization
  • security

Zones virtualization was added to Solaris 10 in 2005.

Where Next?

Popular Linux topics Top

Kurisu
If so, which one? Recently I had to install Moc player on an old PC because I was searching for something with low resource consumption.
New
New
Exadra37
In your opinion what is the best Linux windows manager that has this requisites: Works with Ubuntu 20.04 without hijacking the current ...
New
New
First poster: bot
GTK is a toolkit for creating graphical user interfaces. Offering a complete set of widgets, GTK is suitable for projects ranging from sm...
New
New
First poster: bot
Processor • SiFive U74 RISC-V Dual core with 2MB L2 cache @ 1.5GHz • Vision DSP Tensilica-VP6 for computing vision • NVDLA Engine (conf...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
KnowledgeIsPower
Here’s my new article about using #DefectDoJo to improve security posture
New
AstonJ
Anyone tried Tails? Any thoughts? How Tails works Leave no trace on the computer Your secure computer anywhere To use Tails, shut ...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New