pillaiindu

pillaiindu

What is the difference between using `:references` and `:belongs_to` in a generate command in Rails?

What is the difference between using :references and :belongs_to in the following command?

bin/rails generate scaffold LineItem product:references cart:belongs_to

BTW it’s from the book Agile Web Development with Rails 7 (PragProg) by @rubys @pragdave.

Thank you!

Marked As Solved

rubys

rubys

Author of Agile Web Development With Rails

In some sense, there is no difference: if you look at the code, they actually are aliases of one another:

So they are synonyms at the database level.

At a semantic level, belong to implies a level of ownership. You can think of the cart as “owning” a line item. This is different than the relationship between a line item and a product… a product has an independent existence, and doesn’t “own” line items.

If this makes sense to you, then this is just one of the many ways that Rails helps you express your intent when defining a model. If it doesn’t - don’t worry to much about it, because ultimately these two terms are synonyms.

Also Liked

pillaiindu

pillaiindu

Thank you @rubys !

This makes sense now.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
IhorYachmenov
Hello. I have an iOS app where needs a proxying website through private server(HTTP / HTTPS proxy), but its idea each time has some trou...
New
jaimeiniesta
I maintain a project that lists hundreds of thousands of web pages, and I’d like to show a screenshot for each web page. There are alread...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to encode a structure into json format using the Jason library. However, this is not working as expected. Code L...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am moving towards defined data structures in my application, and I find that TypedStruct is quite useful. Questions Howeve...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am a fan of dialyzer and friends (looking at Gradient) and I try to have sepcs in my code as much as I can. To this end, I a...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a module that uses TypedStruct to create structs. This is the code: defmodule Shared.Data.Authorization do @moduledo...
New
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have an umbrella app where I use a dependecy called ETS. This dependency has a type called set_options that I use in some of...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New