s2k

s2k

Author of Fast Feedback Using Ruby

An ERB/bundler behaviour I don't understand

I have this code in a file that’s used to … render templates.

require 'erb'
require 'ostruct'

MISSING_CONFIG_MARKER = :config_key_and_value_missing

def render(template, configuration_data)
  config_object = OpenStruct.new(configuration_data)
  config_object.table.default = MISSING_CONFIG_MARKER
  ERB.new(template).result(config_object.instance_eval { binding })
end

I also have some tests for this, that show a behaviour I don’t understand:
When running the tests in the context of Bundler, one these fails (one that expects to find the MISSING_CONFIG_MARKER. However, when not running in bundler context, all tests pass.

I’d like to understand why that is, and ideally learn what I need to do to have the set default being used in the context of Bundler as well.

To illustrate all this I’ve set up a repository with a minimal (I think) project, showing the behaviour. See https://github.com/s2k/erb-templating

Most Liked

s2k

s2k

Author of Fast Feedback Using Ruby

Yes, in a way.

Over at the Bundler slack, someone mentioned that the test in question fails with and without using Bundler. When I experimented a bit more with other Ruby versions … results where even more confusing to me.
By now, I assume that something, messed up my Ruby installation (a Gem? env. variable? Ruby related dot file?) — After entirely removing RVM, reinstalling it and building a new Ruby 3.0.2 from scratch, I also got the test failure in both situations.

Meanwhile, I thought about the problem I was trying to solve and came to the conclusion, that it may be better to fail badly when trying to replace an ERB template because the value is missing, rather than inserting some default value and be surprised about it later.

Also I reduce the code above to this:

require 'erb'

def render(template, configuration_data)
  ERB.new(template).result_with_hash(configuration_data)
end

That’s much easier to understand, compared to setting the default for a hash and then using instance_eval and binding.
Using result_with_hash is much simpler (and something I didn’t know about before).

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Another +1 for asdf!

AstonJ

AstonJ

Did you find an answer to this after Stephan?

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

Kurisu
Following on an old discussion I started on Elixir Forum here, I finally made my mind to learn Ruby on Rails in addition to Elixir/Phoen...
New
IhorYachmenov
Hello. I have an iOS app where needs a proxying website through private server(HTTP / HTTPS proxy), but its idea each time has some trou...
New
GermaVinsmoke
Reading Programming Elixir 1.6 book, I’ve completed part 1 of the book. Now I’m thinking of reading Elixir in Action. What do you all sug...
New
mrmurphy
I’ve run into a situation where I’ve got a list of posts inside of a container that uses phx-update=“prepend”, and the posts on the socke...
New
s2k
I have this code in a file that’s used to … render templates. require 'erb' require 'ostruct' MISSING_CONFIG_MARKER = :config_key_and_v...
New
Ookma-Kyi
I am learning Elixir at the moment but am finding it difficult to learn. The issue is there aren’t any good tutorial sites out there when...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to encode a structure into json format using the Jason library. However, this is not working as expected. Code L...
New
osbre
Hello everyone I’m trying to implement a “magic link” or “one-time login link” functionality I wonder what a secure way to implement it...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have recently been delving into more functional code. My objective right now is to get something similar to the IO Monad (in...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have an umbrella project, where I run mix test from the root. In one of the apps, I am mocking the File module using the Mo...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New