pillaiindu

pillaiindu

What's wrong with my Phoenix LiveView code?

Currently reading the book “Programming Phoenix LiveView”.
At the end of the Chapter 1, I’m trying to solve the guess game. If the user guesses the random number generated by the program the program should say Your guess: #{guess}. Correct!, but it doesn’t run that condition even if the guessed number is exactly the same as the random_number generated at the time of mount.
I’ve also added the line The randome number is <%= @random %> to see if I’m guessing the correct number.

Following is the code.

defmodule PentoWeb.WrongLive do
  use PentoWeb, :live_view

  def mount(_params, _session, socket) do
    {:ok, assign(socket, score: 0, message: "Make a guess:", time: time(), random: random())}
  end

  def render(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <h1 class="mb-4 text-4xl font-extrabold">Your score: <%= @score %></h1>
    <h2>
      <%= @message %>
      The randome number is <%= @random %>
    </h2>
    <br/>
    <h2>
      <%= for n <- 1..10 do %>
        <.link class="bg-blue-500 hover:bg-blue-700 text-white font-bold py-2 px-4 border border-blue-700 rounded m-1" phx-click="guess" phx-value-number= {n} >
          <%= n %>
        </.link>
      <% end %>
    </h2>
    """
  end

  def time() do
    DateTime.utc_now() |> to_string()
  end

  def random() do
    Enum.random(1..10)
  end

  def handle_event("guess", %{"number" => guess}, socket) do
    message = cond do
      guess == socket.assigns.random ->
        "Your guess: #{guess}. Correct!"
      true ->
        "Your guess: #{guess}. Wrong. Guess again."
    end

    {:noreply, assign(socket, score: socket.assigns.score + 1, message: message, time: time(), random: socket.assigns.random)}
  end
end

@SophieDeBenedetto

Most Liked

zimt28

zimt28

Your guess variable in the handle_event function is a string, so guess == socket.assigns.random is comparing a string against an integer. An easy fix would be to return a string from your random/0 function.

pillaiindu

pillaiindu

Bard said to make the handle_event like this,

  def handle_event("guess", %{"number" => guess}, socket) do
    message = cond do
      guess == socket.assigns.random ->
        "Your guess: #{guess}. Correct!"
        {:noreply, assign(socket, random: random())}
      true ->
        "Your guess: #{guess}. Wrong. Guess again."
    end

      {:noreply, assign(socket, score: socket.assigns.score + 1, message: message, time: time())}
    end

but that didn’t work either.

pillaiindu

pillaiindu

Thank you for your reply!

It doesn’t work. I tried converting the value inside random() function to String, it didn’t work that way.
Then I converted the guess coming from the user inside the handle_event to integer before comparing it with socket.assign.random, it didn’t work again.

Right now my code is as follows,

defmodule PentoWeb.WrongLive do
  use PentoWeb, :live_view

  def mount(_params, _session, socket) do
    {:ok, assign(socket, score: 0, message: "Make a guess:", time: time(), random: random())}
  end

  def render(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <h1 class="mb-4 text-4xl font-extrabold">Your score: <%= @score %></h1>
    <h2>
      <%= @message %>
      The randome number is <%= @random %>
    </h2>
    <br/>
    <h2>
      <%= for n <- 1..10 do %>
        <.link class="bg-blue-500 hover:bg-blue-700 text-white font-bold py-2 px-4 border border-blue-700 rounded m-1" phx-click="guess" phx-value-number= {n} >
          <%= n %>
        </.link>
      <% end %>
    </h2>
    """
  end

  def time() do
    DateTime.utc_now()
  end

  def random() do
    Enum.random(1..10)
  end

  def handle_event("guess", %{"number" => guess}, socket) do
    guess = Integer.parse(guess) |> elem(0)
    message = cond do
      guess == socket.assigns.random ->
        "Your guess: #{guess}. Correct!"
        {:noreply, assign(socket, random: random())}
      true ->
        "Your guess: #{guess}. Wrong. Guess again."
    end

      {:noreply, assign(socket, score: socket.assigns.score + 1, message: message, time: time())}
    end
  end

At this point when I click the correct option, it gives the following error,

[debug] HANDLE EVENT "guess" in PentoWeb.WrongLive
  Parameters: %{"number" => "3"}
[debug] Replied in 729µs
[error] GenServer #PID<0.505.0> terminating
** (Protocol.UndefinedError) protocol Phoenix.HTML.Safe not implemented for {:noreply, #Phoenix.LiveView.Socket<id: "phx-F5RYrXnIuZbLRwBE", endpoint: PentoWeb.Endpoint, view: PentoWeb.WrongLive, parent_pid: nil, root_pid: #PID<0.505.0>, router: PentoWeb.Router, assigns: %{message: "Make a guess:", time: ~U[2023-11-04 06:49:57.476986Z], random: 2, __changed__: %{random: true}, flash: %{}, live_action: nil, score: 0}, transport_pid: #PID<0.497.0>, ...>} of type Tuple. This protocol is implemented for the following type(s): Atom, BitString, Date, DateTime, Decimal, Float, Integer, List, NaiveDateTime, Phoenix.HTML.Form, Phoenix.LiveComponent.CID, Phoenix.LiveView.Component, Phoenix.LiveView.Comprehension, Phoenix.LiveView.JS, Phoenix.LiveView.Rendered, Time, Tuple, URI
    (phoenix_html 3.3.3) lib/phoenix_html/safe.ex:97: Phoenix.HTML.Safe.Tuple.to_iodata/1
    (pento 0.1.0) lib/pento_web/live/wrong_live.ex:12: anonymous fn/2 in PentoWeb.WrongLive.render/1
    (phoenix_live_view 0.19.5) lib/phoenix_live_view/diff.ex:363: Phoenix.LiveView.Diff.traverse/7
    (phoenix_live_view 0.19.5) lib/phoenix_live_view/diff.ex:538: anonymous fn/4 in Phoenix.LiveView.Diff.traverse_dynamic/7
    (elixir 1.15.7) lib/enum.ex:2510: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
    (phoenix_live_view 0.19.5) lib/phoenix_live_view/diff.ex:361: Phoenix.LiveView.Diff.traverse/7
    (phoenix_live_view 0.19.5) lib/phoenix_live_view/diff.ex:136: Phoenix.LiveView.Diff.render/3
    (phoenix_live_view 0.19.5) lib/phoenix_live_view/channel.ex:833: Phoenix.LiveView.Channel.render_diff/3
    (phoenix_live_view 0.19.5) lib/phoenix_live_view/channel.ex:689: Phoenix.LiveView.Channel.handle_changed/4
    (stdlib 5.1.1) gen_server.erl:1077: :gen_server.try_handle_info/3
    (stdlib 5.1.1) gen_server.erl:1165: :gen_server.handle_msg/6
    (stdlib 5.1.1) proc_lib.erl:251: :proc_lib.wake_up/3
Last message: %Phoenix.Socket.Message{topic: "lv:phx-F5RYrXnIuZbLRwBE", event: "event", payload: %{"event" => "guess", "type" => "click", "value" => %{"number" => "3"}}, ref: "13", join_ref: "11"}
State: %{socket: #Phoenix.LiveView.Socket<id: "phx-F5RYrXnIuZbLRwBE", endpoint: PentoWeb.Endpoint, view: PentoWeb.WrongLive, parent_pid: nil, root_pid: #PID<0.505.0>, router: PentoWeb.Router, assigns: %{message: "Make a guess:", time: ~U[2023-11-04 06:49:57.476986Z], random: 3, __changed__: %{}, flash: %{}, live_action: nil, score: 0}, transport_pid: #PID<0.497.0>, ...>, components: {%{}, %{}, 1}, topic: "lv:phx-F5RYrXnIuZbLRwBE", serializer: Phoenix.Socket.V2.JSONSerializer, join_ref: "11", upload_names: %{}, upload_pids: %{}}
[debug] MOUNT PentoWeb.WrongLive
  Parameters: %{}
  Session: %{"_csrf_token" => "-UTX1GiHNYDm90jd4qqktPfh"}
[debug] Replied in 104µs

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

wolf4earth
At work we plan to replace a totally overkill Kafka instance with a combination of SNS and SQS. I don’t want to get into a discussion on ...
New
Jsdr3398
Are there any databases that require no setup (can be shipped in a small zip together with the project)?
New
Ookma-Kyi
I am learning Elixir at the moment but am finding it difficult to learn. The issue is there aren’t any good tutorial sites out there when...
New
sampu
I have a use case where a client is invoking a Rest endpoint via a load balancer, which in turn invokes a third party endpoint which is r...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background PS: the following situation describes an hypothetical scenario, where I own a company that sells things to customers. I have ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am a fan of dialyzer and friends (looking at Gradient) and I try to have sepcs in my code as much as I can. To this end, I a...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have to queries that return a colossal amount of data on their own. I cannot use Repo.all as doing so would materialize thes...
New
harwind
I’m presently working on a backend development project to build a RESTful API using Python and Flask. The Scaler backend developer site h...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have an umbrella app where I use a dependecy called ETS. This dependency has a type called set_options that I use in some of...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New