NKTgLaw
Exploring NKTg Law — A Physics-Inspired Model for Adaptive Behavior in Software
Hello Devtalk community,
I’d like to introduce a hypothetical concept I’m exploring called the NKTg Law—a physics-inspired model to simulate how an entity’s behavior may adapt when its “mass” (i.e., load, state weight, resource usage) changes over time. It’s meant to spark creative thoughts in areas like adaptive systems, concurrency control, or game mechanics, but could be applied anywhere systems respond to changing internal states.
The Core Formulae:
- NKTg₁ = x × p, where:
-
x= displacement or deviation from equilibrium (e.g. task queue length, error rate), -
p = m × v= “momentum” (mass × velocity or throughput). - Interpretation:
- NKTg₁ > 0 → the system is drifting away from steady state (amplifying).
- NKTg₁ < 0 → the system is stabilizing back toward equilibrium.
- NKTg₂ = (dm/dt) × p, where:
-
dm/dt= rate of change of mass (rate of load increase/decrease), -
p= momentum as defined above. - Interpretation:
- NKTg₂ > 0 → increasing mass (load) boosts motion (e.g., scaling up).
- NKTg₂ < 0 → decreasing mass (reducing load) dampens motion (e.g., cooldown).
Possible Software Applications:
- Adaptive Rate Limiting: A service slows down as request load (“mass”) increases, reducing throughput (“velocity”) proportionally.
- Auto-Scaling Systems: Nodes detect increasing “mass” and spawn additional workers based on momentum formulas.
- Gameplay Mechanics: Game objects that accelerate when powered up (mass ↑) or slow down when damaged (mass ↓).
Questions for the Community:
- Have you encountered or designed systems where state-weighted metrics adjust behavior dynamically (e.g., queue length adjustments, load balancing, memory-aware throttling)?
- Would it make sense to encapsulate NKTg logic into a reusable utility—like a behavior or module—instead of sprinkling it across different service components?
- What tooling or patterns would help visualize or monitor such dynamics? Could
Prometheus,Grafana, or event-driven models illustrate momentum change effectively? - Would you be interested in a small working prototype (e.g., a web service or game engine snippet) demonstrating NKTg Law in action?
Looking forward to hearing your perspectives—and thanks for reading!
— NKTgLaw
Popular General Dev topics
I’ve been using the classic notebook to-do list, but I’m curious to hear what awesome tools are out there that I am not aware of. I’m alw...
New
Hi there! I have some old Bose in ear noise cancelling headphones that have worked like a champ for the past 3 years and was maybe due fo...
New
Just been adding some more portals, currently have the following languages:
Apache Groovy
C
C#
C++
Clojure
CoffeeScript
Crystal ...
New
What do people think about Data-Oriented Programming, like this book tackles? https://www.manning.com/books/data-oriented-programming
Ho...
New
The Odin programming language is designed with the intent of creating an alternative to C with the following goals:
simplicity
high per...
New
Things like smart speakers (such Amazon Alexa), smart TVs or other devices with built in microphones, cameras or with other features that...
New
Hi everyone… I’m so sorry about the delay in getting this thread up, I’ve just been so busy :see_no_evil:
Are there any book clubs you’d...
New
Maybe a specific language or framework? Or a book or tool perhaps? What’s made your life easier and what do you think could make the live...
New
Thought this would be a nice way to start the year - have you seen or written a function (or method) or piece of code that you are partic...
New
Hello DevTalk Community!
Once again, The Pragmatic Programmers are looking for developers who’d like to help shape the future of our boo...
New
Other popular topics
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!?
If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
New
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me.
I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first:
asdf plugin-upd...
New
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread.
While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
Will Swifties’ war on AI fakes spark a deepfake porn reckoning?
New
Hello,
I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
- All
- In The News (11387)
- Dev Chat
- Questions (38)
- Resources (122)
- Blogs/Talks (29)
- Jobs (3)
- Events (15)
- Code Editors (59)
- Hardware (60)
- Reviews (5)
- Sales (16)
- Design & UX (5)
- Marketing & SEO (2)
- Industry & Culture (14)
- Ethics & Privacy (19)
- Business (4)
- Learning Methods (7)
- Content Creators (7)
- DevOps & Hosting (14)
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /textmate
- /sublime-text
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /diversity
- /markdown









