Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Are there any text-to-speech ai tools available using elixir?

Background

As I often do, I read books to learn and improve myself. I also enjoy teaching and helping others when I can, so this is something I try to do regularly.

However, as time goes by (and so do the years) I have slowly come to realize it is becoming increasingly harder not only to maintain focus when reading/studying a new topic, I also forget things faster.

It is not an uncommon occurrence to re-read an “old” article or book, and to become surprised with things I had learned before. I have come to the inevitable conclusion this will only happen more frequently with time.

Although I do enjoy reading and learning, if I keep reading and the learning the same things over and over again, I will not evolve. Eventually I will gradually lose my ability to help others in topics of relevance, something I cannot live with.

So I decided to take a new approach. Re-learning old concepts is now something I have accepted, but I do get to choose how I re-learn them. I have decided to make a series of instructional videos (10-15) minutes long, freely available on youtube, free lectures for all to see.

Not only does this achieve my end goal of helping others more efficiently, it is also a quick and convenient way of re-learning things for myself. It also allows me to add my opinions, experiences and additional context, which is something I value immensely.

Problem

I have several scripts done, and I have power-point like presentations done as well for them. The issue now is that in order to make videos, I need to record sound. I have it from several sources, that my voice is … not ideal. Not only that, should my initiative succeed and my channel gather traction, I will be barred from certain jobs in the country I live because it is a common occurrence for managers and bosses to “avoid hiring known people”, for company political reasons.

In order to protect myself and to create videos that are somewhat acceptable I have decided to use text-to-speech audio generation.

However, all the tools I have found so far are in Python. Many of them are abandoned and even when they are not, there are always dependency issues with the likes of PyTorch and Tensor and so on.

I have not yet seen a Python project where things just work because there is always a dependency issue somewhere. Even the creators of some of those tools acknowledge this. To make things even more complex, some of these tools require specifically NVIDIA GPUs, which I don’t have.

Question

So I was wondering if there are out there any Elixir tts generation tools that one could use. Because Elixir uses BEAM, I assume requiring an NVIDIA GPU is not a necessity. Furthermore, I also assume I wouldn’t have to constantly fight with Python dependencies.

Are there any tools in Elixir that follow this requirements? Or is it too early in the Elixir ecosystem for such tools to exist yet?

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

As discussed in the Elixir forums, at this point in time the ecosystem is not yet mature enough and such tools do not yet exist.

However, I was able to bypass this by using Google Colab with kokoro-tts: hexgrad/Kokoro-82M · Hugging Face

Source:

This solves the issue and I don’t need to run anything locally!

Also Liked

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Do you mean this Piper ? I didn’t find any mention of Rust in the README, and the files are mostly written in C++ and Python. What am I missing here?

As for Voxygen, I was not able to find anything except for an SaaS service which I have to pay to use. Can you link the project?

Thanks for the reply!

Scarlet

Scarlet

Elixir’s ecosystem is still young when it comes to TTS, and I’m not aware of any mature, high-quality TTS tools built natively for BEAM. You might have better luck interfacing with external libraries via Ports or NIFs, or using HTTP APIs to call TTS services from within an Elixir app. If avoiding Python entirely is the goal, you could check out Rust-based TTS engines like Voxygen or Piper and see if they can be wrapped into an Elixir-friendly format. Otherwise, the Elixir community might need more time before native TTS solutions emerge.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

Kurisu
Hello, Please, let’s say I have a website with user authentication made with Elixir/Phoenix, and now want to add a forum to it (using a ...
New
dimitarvp
As a part of my new job I’ll have to learn to manage a local k8s cluster. The tools used are microk8s, tilt and helm. I’ll appreciate an...
New
Jsdr3398
Are there any databases that require no setup (can be shipped in a small zip together with the project)?
New
andrea
Can Phoenix LiveView be used in multi-page applications, unlike React/Vue/Blazor which seems to be targeted for SPA?
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have recently been delving into more functional code. My objective right now is to get something similar to the IO Monad (in...
New
harwind
In C, how they are different? char str[] = "xyz"; // statement //and char str[4] = "xyz"; // statement The first, i...
/c
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have a module that uses TypedStruct to create structs. This is the code: defmodule Shared.Data.Authorization do @moduledo...
New
New
pillaiindu
What is the difference between using :references and :belongs_to in the following command? bin/rails generate scaffold LineItem product:...
New
jaeyson
Hi! I have clarifications (please correct me, as I mostly mix/confuse this details) with the following: The term RAG here where it read...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New