mafinar

mafinar

Data Structures and Algorithms with Elixir

This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread.

While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm course, I realized, whenever I “think” about algorithms, Java is the first thing that comes to mind. While I did solve a lot of programming puzzles in functional programming languages, I don’t remember ever taking myself through the shoes of course takers of those courses in a functional (or even dynamic) languages.

So this is what I am doing, I am going to read about an algorithm or two per week, and then try to see it through Elixir. And share the code, and leave myself notes for here, unless I can organize those thoughts well enough to put up in my blog.

I already started this few days ago and made okay progress. Here’s the repository.

I have a few naively implemented algorithms out there, will regularly revise them or update new ones.

Not using any book as reference yet, but when I will I would draw inspiration from the following books:

  1. A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms, Second Edition: Level Up Your Core Programming Skills by Jay Wengrow (pragprog.com)
  2. Advanced Algorithms and Data Structures (manning.com)

And when I find the courage:

  1. Purely Functional Data Structures: Okasaki, Chris: 9780521663502: Books - Amazon.ca

I do not intend this to be used by anyone seriously as this will never be “production-ready”, this repository is to keep myself educated about algorithms and thinking through zippers and lenses.

Most Liked

mafinar

mafinar

Got these two to accompany me throughout 2022 during this. Going to post my first one on Sunday.

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

@mafinar write a book on Data Structure and Algorithms in Erlang/Elixir and we’ll be your first readers. :slight_smile:

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

In your blog posts, you can show different approaches and then the proper functional way. That will make it the best resource for DS&A in Elixir.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

wolf4earth
Serverless has been quite a prevalent topic in our industry in the past few years, and while there are a lot of sceptics, I think it’s sa...
New
bot
A new item has been posted: This thread was posted automatically, if you feel it could be in a better category and are at Trust Level ...
New
New
bot
So you want to live-reload Rust - fasterthanli.me. Good morning! It is still 2020, and the world is literally on fire , so I guess we c...
New
New
New
DevotionGeo
How Dgraph was running out of memory for some users, and how Go’s Garbage collector wasn’t enough, and Dgraph team used jemalloc to manag...
New
New
mafinar
Hello! Advent of Year 2023 is upon us and like past few years, I’ll be opening threads discussing each year’s problems. Day 1 was today....
New
geo
I found a collection of code snippets for getting visitor ip address from api.geoipapi.com/json for blocking malicious ip addresses or ha...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New