fidalgo

fidalgo

High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails: Using Advisory Locks (page 195)

@andatki

In this page, you mention:
The Transaction Pooling Mode for PgBouncer cannot be used with Advisory Locks
Can you expand a title further on this? PgBouncer is like a first resource when people run out of database connections, and now that it supports prepared statements people are much more inclined to continue to use it.
With the increase awareness of advisory locks and things like GoodJob background job processing, are we increasing the risk of problems?

In the table for features for PGBouncer we can find some information: PgBouncer features

Do you think that having a more detailed explanation on the risks and what we should do to ensure to remain compatible (using session pooling, basically)

Even after reading the Choosing A PgBouncer Pooling Mode in page 190 and when using GoodJob, being the transaction mode, the most common, the user can easily fall in the trap of choosing the most common method to later release it’s not supported.

First Post!

andatki

andatki

Author of High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails

Thanks @fidalgo. That’s a good idea to point out that possible surprise. As you noted, we can now use Prepared Statements with PgBouncer in the transaction pooling mode. But other “client features” aren’t supported, also as you noted, leaving only session mode which has less benefits. I agree it would nice to provide some warning and caution about that. I’ll follow up if I can get something included in time. Thank you!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
gilesdotcodes
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions: In Gemfile, change gem 'rails' t...
New
New
leba0495
Hello! Thanks for the great book. I was attempting the Trie (chap 17) exercises and for number 4 the solution provided for the autocorre...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
rainforest
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels. Before ...
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: