jskubick

jskubick

Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack: SwitchCompat's thumbTint and trackTint being ignored (page 76)

I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint.

As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to holo_blue_bright when the switch is enabled and checked, but the colors specified for state_enabled=false and state_checked=false seem to be getting ignored.

I started by changing the first color (state_enabled=false) in ai_toggle_color.xml to holo_red_light, to make it blatantly obvious when it’s being used… then launched it in the Emulator (API 30):

SwitchCompat enabled=false, checked=moot: light gray (vs holo_red_light)

SwitchCompat enabled=true, checked=true: holo_blue_bright, as expected.

SwitchCompat enabled=true, checked=false: dark gray (vs holo_green_light)

Searching around on StackOverflow, I found a few posts that seem to suggest that this might be due to a theme or style overriding the colors set via thumbTint and trackTint.

I tried running the same set of experiments under the emulator using API 27, to see whether it might be due to a recent change in Android’s behavior. Same outcome.

As a final test, I loaded Chapter 3 from the zip archive directly into Android Studio, and ran it as-is in the emulator under API 30… and got the same results as before.

For whatever reason, SwitchCompat appears to be ignoring the color choices set by thumbTint and trackTint unless enabled and checked are both true.

First Post!

rgianassi

rgianassi

Hi everyone,

maybe I found a solution. Here is what I’ve done:

        <androidx.appcompat.widget.SwitchCompat
            android:id="@+id/switch_player_type"
            android:layout_width="wrap_content"
            android:layout_height="wrap_content"
            android:checked="@={player.isHuman}"
            android:enabled="@{player.isIncluded}"
            android:thumb="@drawable/ai_toggle_bg"
            app:trackTint="@color/ai_toggle_color"
            android:visibility="@{player.canBeToggled ? View.VISIBLE : View.INVISIBLE}"
            app:layout_constraintBottom_toBottomOf="@id/edit_text_player_name"
            app:layout_constraintEnd_toEndOf="parent"
            app:layout_constraintTop_toTopOf="@id/edit_text_player_name" />

i.e. I removed the android:thumbTint attribute and I changed android:trackTint to app:trackTint.
Probably some API has been recently changed.

Hope this helps,
Roberto

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
brunogirin
When running tox for the first time, I got the following error: ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: python3.10 I realised that I was running ...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: &lt;%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
jwandekoken
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below: d...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
bjnord
Hello @herbert ! Trying to get the very first “Hello, Bracket Terminal!" example to run (p. 53). I develop on an Amazon EC2 instance runn...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New

Sub Categories: