sir.laksmana_wenk

sir.laksmana_wenk

I want to learn how make a game, but where should I start?

I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc.

However, I don’t have experience in programming. I don’t know what language should I learn first.
Also, many people on the internet have said that you need to be good at math and physics before learning to code… well, I’m terrible with math.
Is it true? Why do I have to learn those before programming? How far can I go without understanding math and physics? And what kind of math do I have to be knowledgeable at?

Most Liked

Rainer

Rainer

It depends on what style of game you want to create. Depending on that, you can choose an already existing engine, where you can already get quite far without big coding knowledge.

Maybe have a look at this one: https://godotengine.org/

I’ve done it the hard way when I was a student and created my own small 3d engine, for such a thing you’d need basic knowledge of Trigonometry, but you don’t need to be “good at math”, I’m not either :wink:

brennan

brennan

Maybe Unity and C#?

chris.johan

chris.johan

I tried Unity and C# a couple of years ago as a hobby, and I enjoyed it. You can find some good Udemy courses.

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
dev232
Installed Mac Ports on OSX High Sierra sudo port install gcc11 libsdl2 openssl glfw libsdl2_gfx libsdl2_image libsdl2_mixer libsdl2_net...
New
deadlyzayan
hey there everyone , hope you are all great . i have been a world of warcraft player as long as i can remember and i got this idea of sta...
New
mollyerin
Which operating system should I choose for gaming? I’ve been using Windows since I started, but now I’m wondering about switching to Luni...
New
HuntzUdwn
Hello everyone, I am a Student at CSUDH and was wondering about how to become a game developer. I would like to contact a developer and a...
New
Dhanen
Hi all. New here. I tried do it by myself and searching help in forums but no luck… Hope I can found it here in a specialized forum. My...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
Where the protagonist hovers their head towards an item nearby, and the headturn has a movement limit, so it’s not like 360 degree head ...
New
SuperGibaLogan
im working on a game on godot and im using a tutorial to code it however, one of the code in the tutorial im using only works in godot 4...
New
Huzi
I’ve been studying the mechanics behind Block Blast–style puzzle games, and I’m curious about the best approaches for developing one for ...
New
BlobDev
Hi, so i know that python is a better first language but I read that it’s not mainly used for game development so I wondered if c# was be...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New