joepstender

joepstender

Programming Phoenix LiveView: errata and remarks Version B2.0

The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67)

iex> product = %Product{}
 %Pento.Catalog.Product{
 __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:built, "product">,
 …
}

The mount/3 function that is generated is different from the one used in the example, this might be confusing if you are familiar with the way pipes are used in Elixir. (Page 87)

def mount(_params, _session, socket) do
 {:ok,
 socket
 |> assign(:greeting, "Welcome to Pento!") # add this line
 |> assign(:products, list_products())}
end

Instead of

{:ok, assign(socket, :products, list_products())}

These few lines of code are a bit different from what we’ve seen before,… (Page 98)

Actually we have already seen this exact code 2 pages earlier, starting on page 96.
Suggestion: introduce the repeated code with: “Here’s the line of code that calls the modal component from the index template again:”

That means the component must implement a handle_event/3 function for the “close” event, which is does here: (Page 103)

Should be “… which it does here:”

Notice there’s an :id key, as well as a :component key that specifies the FormComponent (Page 106)

It is unclear what the :component_key is.

Marked As Solved

SophieDeBenedetto

SophieDeBenedetto

Author of Programming Phoenix LiveView

Hello! Thank you so much for your feedback, we really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Let’s go through it one thing as a time:

The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67)

You are totally right! You’ll find this fixed in the next Beta release. Thanks for pointing it out :slight_smile:

The mount/3 function that is generated is different from the one used in the example, this might be confusing if you are familiar with the way pipes are used in Elixir. (Page 87)

Good catch! In fact this code snippet does change the way the generated mount/3 function calls assign in order to add the products to the socket. You’ll find this updated for clarity in the next Beta release.

Actually we have already seen this exact code 2 pages earlier, starting on page 96.
Suggestion: introduce the repeated code with: “Here’s the line of code that calls the modal component from the index template again :”

Yep you are right that we’ve shown you this code snippet already. I’ll add some language to clarify that in the next release.

Should be “… which it does here:”

Nice catch! Will fix in the next release.

It is unclear what the :component_key is.

The :component key points to a value of the component that will be rendered in the modal–FormComponent. I’ll add some language to clarify this but we also go into greater detail just a bit further on in the chapter.

Thanks again!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

iPaul
page 37 ANTLRInputStream input = new ANTLRInputStream(is); as of ANTLR 4 .8 should be: CharStream stream = CharStreams.fromStream(i...
New
telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
HarryDeveloper
Hi @venkats, It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same eff...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
rainforest
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels. Before ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New

Sub Categories: