daniela

daniela

High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails: How to show autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor per table (p. 171)

@andatki

On page 171, it shows how to change the autovacuum scale factor for a particular table, eg:

ALTER TABLE trips SET (autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.01);

It’s also possible to show from in a psql console what the global value is for the scale factor:

SHOW autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor;

My question is: How to show the table-specific values? i.e. suppose someone else has gone in and updated this for various tables, and you just want to know what all the current values are before making further changes?

First Post!

andatki

andatki

Author of High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails

Hey Daniela! Good question. I’m adding a query (thanks ChatGPT) you can run on your DB to find this information. We can query the pg_class system catalog to get it. To test this, I set the AV scale factor using the command you listed and made sure the expected option name and value appeared in the result.

Because this seems generally useful, I’ve added this query to my pg_scrips repository on GitHub. There’s also a commented out section showing the result when run on my local Rideshare DB.

https://github.com/andyatkinson/pg_scripts/blob/main/per_table_options_reloptions_all_regular_tables.sql

Besides querying this information, another tactic could be adding these changes to your local dev DB, since they’re dumped into the db/structure.sql.

Here’s a snippet below where Autovacuum was disabled for a table, showing the line it adds to db/structure.sql.

While this AV change wouldn’t likely wouldn’t be necessary locally, documenting a change like this in the db/structure.sql could be helpful on a team of people interested in this info.

“+WITH (autovacuum_enabled='false');”

Hope that helps!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
jdufour
Hello! On page xix of the preface, it says there is a community forum "… for help if your’re stuck on one of the exercises in this book… ...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
brunogirin
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error: ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
rainforest
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels. Before ...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New

Sub Categories: