DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Do you prefer regular mechanical keyboards or low profile mechanical keyboards and why?

I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like on the 8100 I had replaced the stems of all the brown switches with black switches’ stems while leaving the springs of brown switches to make them linear and softer. :slight_smile:

After the recent OS update my Cherry MX 8100 was registering a double pressed key once, so I thought of buying a new keyboard. I bought a Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Low Profile keyboard from a local store, but haven’t used it yet. This is the first piece of text I’m writing with it.

On the Corsair’s website this keyboard is currently priced $99.99 USD (Was $149.99 USD), while the regular variant is priced $169.99 USD. Here at the store, both of the types are priced the same. I still have two days to exchange it with the regular variant if I want.

Why is there so big of the price difference on their official website?

Right now it feels fine, but I don’t know if it will still feel the same a month from now or not? Like my MX 8100 felt the same after it accumulated a huge amount of dust.

Do I keep this keyboard or bring the regular variant of it? Has anyone used any low profile mechanical keyboard?

Most Liked

adamaiken89

adamaiken89

I like using capacitive keyboard rather than a mechanical keyboard, but the fact is I often take my MacBook and walk around. It is very hard for me to sit in front of my desk to use my capacitive keyboard.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

I have a mechanical noppoo nano 75-s. Unfortunately for me it is not a wireless keyboard, so the cable connecting to the PC got damaged over time and now it’s impossible to find a replacement.

This keyboard is a traditional mechanical keyboard. It was one of my absolute best keyboards and if not for the cable issue, odds are I would still be using it today. I bought it over a decade ago for around 150$ in a discount.

Why is there so big of the price difference on their official website?

It is rather common for stores to have online only discounts in order to drive engagement on the website and create a user habit of frequently checking it. This should not affect your judgement.

Right now it feels fine, but I don’t know if it will still feel the same a month from now or not? Like my MX 8100 felt the same after it accumulated a huge amount of dust.

From my limited experience, the Corsair is fairly well known, that should do you well for years to come. In the event that a key gets damage, you can replace it, and you can also replace the switches:

This will obviously void the warranty though:

Do I keep this keyboard or bring the regular variant of it? Has anyone used any low profile mechanical keyboard?

I would go for the one that feels the most comfortable and is easier to repair. I don’t know how easier/harder it is to repair the low profile variant, but I assume (with a grain of salt) it can’t be that much harder.

Reinis

Reinis

I am currently using a low-profile mechanical keyboard - Redragon K621 TKL with red switches. It is my second mechanical keyboard, the first one was the cheapest TKL I could find to test whether I even liked mechanical keyboards.

Chose this model as it was significantly cheaper than the generally recommended Logitech low-profile option that costs around 200 usd. Checked out the Corsair as well, but I think was turned off by some bad reviews, and it was more expensive as well.

I chose a low-profile as it is easier/faster to type on it. Especially coming from using laptops exclusively for many years.

Though I think I preferred the brown switches, unfortunately, this keyboard only comes with reds.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Jase
Any opinions on the best platform for dev-friendly blogging?
New
AstonJ
This article got me thinking about encrypted chat: Europol said that French police had discovered some of EncroChat’s servers were lo...
New
brennan
Trying to understand recursion in Elixir. Sometimes it is simple based on the problem, sometimes it is hard. Any suggestions on how to le...
New
Girtyp
Hi everyone. Getting right to my question, I have recently thought about implementing payment by installment feature in my website. Who k...
New
thetoaderseventytwo
I’ve been trying to dip my feet into using Unity and C# for the sake of developing games, however, I have barely any knowledge of how to ...
New
jaeyson
Is Rust still good to learn? Last time (ages ago) I heard there was changes made by the foundation. If not, is Go suitable for api and w...
New
harwind
I’m considering learning new languages to expand my programming skills in 2023. While aware of popular choices, I seek advice on striking...
New
jaeyson
Hi! I received an email from shopperapproved.com, I’ll copy-pasta here: Hi , Would you be willing to help future Manning.com customers...
New
dPhong31415
Hey everyone :waving_hand: I’ve just recently discovered Elixir, and honestly—it’s been mind-blowing so far (coming from a React backgro...
New
KnowledgeIsPower
Trivy was attacked for twice recently. CheckMarx and Telnyx was attacked too. Looks like the attack is not slowing down.
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New