alanq

alanq

Modern Front-End Development for Rails: Can't get TURBO_STREAM format in some cases

This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_STREAM request and in others (e.g. turbo/01) it’s always HTML, even from a link inside a turbo_frame.

No doubt it is something in my environment. I’ve gone through diffs painstakingly setting every yarn package version etc. to match the working app where different. But I can’t get a TURBO_STREAM in a new rails project or in some of the sample code apps.

I know there are a million combination of versions of everything so this is an impossible question to answer, but any suggestions?! I’ve tried reinstalling everything a million times. The new version of the book is great, I’d love to put it into use but guess I’ll have to wait a few months and try again.

Most Liked

alanq

alanq

Hi, you’re right turbo/02 does work.
I took a fresh copy of the code. turbo/01 sends HTML rather than TURBO_STREAM, so maybe it’s just not set up at that point.

Thanks that reduced the variables, it’s the turbo-rails gem version that breaks for me from v0.5.4 It won’t send a TURBO_STREAM (same on latest v0.5.9).

Looking forward to continuing the book with the older turbo-rails gem for now, thanks.

UPDATE: If I run yarn upgrade it breaks again, even with turbo-rails gem v0.5.3
But if I then paste the older yarn.lock lines back in for turbo-rails and turbo and run webpacker:install, it works again. Even though the version @hotwired/turbo-rails@^7.0.0-beta.2 is the same in both cases, yarn upgrade changes the t.r. version referenced below from beta.2 to beta.5 (and the turbo dependency from beta.1 to beta.4).

Pasting back to beta.2 and beta.1 for turbo-rails and turbo resp. fixes it (ie TURBO_STREAM requests).
So reverting to the red below fixes it. I’ve no idea if that’s significant!

Unrelated but it seems the target type declaration is no longer needed (happy days): Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: setting getter-only property "elementToHideTarget"
Removing elementToHideTarget: HTMLElement fixes it

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Sub Categories: