BraisonCrece

BraisonCrece

High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails: users count inconsistency (page 56)

Hi @andatki! First of all, thank you so much for this amazing book! :muscle:

I’ve found something that can cause a bit of confusion.
After seeding the data in order and running the bulk_load script, the reader will have about 10M rows in the users table. But on page 56, after running the first statement to copy the scrubbed data into the users_copy table, the operation will fail because of the statement timeout (at least on my computer :sweat_smile:), because the book expects the users table to contain only 20200 records (the ones added with therails data_generators:generate_all), but as I mentioned there are about 10M.

This shouldn’t be a problem for the majority of readers, but it can cause confusion and breaks the consistency a bit.

Most Liked

andatki

andatki

Author of High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails

Hi @BraisonCrece. Thanks for posting this. The statement_timeout is used to set the max allowed time for operations to run before they’re cancelled.

What we need to do there is raise the statement_timeout to allow for more time. We can do that in several ways: by modifying the user’s persistent value, by modifying it within a psql session, or modifying it only for the scope of a single transaction. If you used the Rideshare scripts to create the owner or app_user users, you could modify them with a statement like this one:

ALTER ROLE owner SET statement_timeout = '60s';

That would raise the statement timeout to 60 seconds on an ongoing basis. You may need to raise it even more. You can also set it back later if you’d like.

You can also raise the statement timeout within a session:

SET statement_timeout = '60s';

Or you can scope the change to an individual transaction using the LOCAL keyword. To do that, use SET LOCAL as follows:

SET LOCAL statement_timeout = '60s';

With the bigger row count table where operations are taking longer, try raising the statement timeout and performing the operation, and letting me know if that fixes it for you.

Thanks!

BraisonCrece

BraisonCrece

I would say I have the latest version, I downloaded the copy last week.

I cannot confirm what page is because depending on the width of the reader (apple books) the page number is different :sweat_smile:.

What I confirm is that this can be found in the block titled “Understanding Clone and Replace Trade-Offs”.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
cro
I am working on the “Your Turn” for chapter one and building out the restart button talked about on page 27. It recommends looking into ...
New
leba0495
Hello! Thanks for the great book. I was attempting the Trie (chap 17) exercises and for number 4 the solution provided for the autocorre...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
andreheijstek
After running /bin/setup, the first error was: The foreman' command exists in these Ruby versions: That was easy to fix: gem install fore...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: