douglasshuang

douglasshuang

High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails: Confusing `SUBSTR` arguments in `SCRUB_EMAIL` (page 52)

I’m having trouble understanding the intent of the start and count arguments to SUBSTR in the SCRUB_EMAIL function.

I understand that we want to return the first five or more characters from the MD5 value. The PostgreSQL documentation examples indicate that string indexes start at 1, not 0. Why does the SCRUB_EMAIL code call SUBSTR with a starting index of 0 and a count of 6 or greater? I see that the code produces the desired outcome, but wouldn’t it be equivalent and clearer to use a starting index of 1 and a count of 5 or greater?

Marked As Solved

andatki

andatki

Author of High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails

Hi @douglasshuang. Thanks for the detailed write-up again here. I don’t remember for sure whether I knew functions like substring() had 1-based indexes and not 0-based.

I studied that documentation page and didn’t explicitly see it mentioned, however it can be deduced from the examples, for example:

substring('Thomas' from 2 for 3) → hom

1,2,3,4,5,6
----------
T,h,o,m,a,s

We can see it starts at position 2 “h” and goes for a count of 3 (inclusive of “m”) to get “hom”.

With that in mind, I agree the code/sql/scrub_email_function_full.sql function would be more sensible to start from 1 and go for a count of “5”.

I guess before with a count of 0 it doesn’t raise an error, but isn’t a valid index position, so that’s why it was set to 6 to get “5” characters plus 1 invalid position.

Start at 1, go for 5 is more clear!

Thanks again for finding this. I’m submitting this fix and hope it goes into a new version.

Also Liked

douglasshuang

douglasshuang

Hi @andatki, that sounds good. Thank you!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

iPaul
page 37 ANTLRInputStream input = new ANTLRInputStream(is); as of ANTLR 4 .8 should be: CharStream stream = CharStreams.fromStream(i...
New
telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
jamis
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
jskubick
I’m running Android Studio “Arctic Fox” 2020.3.1 Patch 2, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I only made it to page 8 before running into ...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: