edruder
Docker for Rails Developers: Notes for Rails 6.1, Ruby 2.7.2
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here.
- p. 11
rails new myapp --skip-test. Do not add the--skip-bundleflag–it causes several steps of thenewcommand to fail. (Notably,webpacker:installdoesn’t occur.) - p. 19 Update the
Dockerfileto get a newer version of Ruby, a recent version ofyarn, and set upwebpacker:FROM ruby:2.7.2 # Ensure latest packages for Yarn RUN curl -sS https://dl.yarnpkg.com/debian/pubkey.gpg | APT_KEY_DONT_WARN_ON_DANGEROUS_USAGE=true apt-key add - RUN echo "deb https://dl.yarnpkg.com/debian/ stable main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/yarn.list RUN apt-get update -yqq RUN apt-get install -yqq --no-install-recommends nodejs yarn WORKDIR /usr/src/app COPY . . RUN bundle install RUN yarn install - p. 40 Modified
DockerfileafterThe Gemfile Caching Trick:FROM ruby:2.7.2 # Ensure latest packages for Yarn RUN curl -sS https://dl.yarnpkg.com/debian/pubkey.gpg | APT_KEY_DONT_WARN_ON_DANGEROUS_USAGE=true apt-key add - && \ echo "deb https://dl.yarnpkg.com/debian/ stable main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/yarn.list && \ apt-get update -yqq && apt-get install -yqq --no-install-recommends \ nodejs \ yarn WORKDIR /usr/src/app COPY Gemfile* ./ RUN bundle install RUN yarn install COPY . . CMD ["bin/rails", "s", "-b", "0.0.0.0"] - p. 88 In
Rails JavaScript Front End with Webpacker, nothing needs to be done to installwebpacker, since we installed it at the beginning. (There is no issue with the version ofnode, either. In fact, running thecurlto get an “up-to-date” version ends up installing a deprecated version.) You do need to install thewebpackerReact integration, though–docker-compose run web bin/rails webpacker:install:react. - p. 96
Setting Up RSpec, grab a newer version of RSpec–gem 'rspec-rails', '~> 4.0.1'–per therspec-railsinstallation instructions. - p. 96-97 I had to
stop,build, andup -d --force-recreatethewebpack_dev_serverafter doing the same forweb, after installing RSpec. - p. 100
gem 'capybara', '~> 3.34'
Most Liked
edruder
- p. 146 With Rails 6, there’s a new way to handle secrets. Instead of defining
SECRET_KEY_BASE, you’ll need to defineRAILS_MASTER_KEY.- Run
bin/rails credentials:editand save the result. This will create the value of an encryption key inconfig/master.keyand an encrypted secrets file inconfig/credentials.yml.enc. - Copy the value of the encryption key in
config/master.keyto theRAILS_MASTER_KEYenvironment variable in.env/production/web. (SECRET_KEY_BASEis obsolete–don’t define it.)
- Run
3
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
page 20: … protoc command…
I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
Page 28: It implements io.ReaderAt on the store type.
Sorry if it’s a dumb question but was the io.ReaderAt supposed to be io.ReadAt?
...
New
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
The test is as follows:
Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray
Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1))
And s ← sphere...
New
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64)
If you follow the defau...
New
When running tox for the first time, I got the following error:
ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: python3.10
I realised that I was running ...
New
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70)
I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter:
could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New
Other popular topics
Algorithms and data structures are much more than abstract concepts. Mastering them enables you to write code that runs faster and more e...
New
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
Author Spotlight:
Bruce Tate
@redrapids
Programming languages always emerge out of need, and if that’s not always true, they’re defin...
New
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming.
Minh Quang Tran
The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /diversity
- /lua
- /laravel









