viktorianer

viktorianer

High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails: Contains non-printing unicode characters

I found it challenging to use code examples from this book, particularly because the queries containing non-printing Unicode characters. E.g.,

epub book:

rideshare_development=> REINDEX ​INDEX​ index_users_on_email;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "​INDEX​"
LINE 1: REINDEX ​INDEX​ index_users_on_email;
                ^
Time: 0.917 ms

pdf book:

rideshare_development=> REINDEX INDEX index_users_on_email;
REINDEX
Time: 5906.267 ms (00:05.906)

Is there any way, to create epub format book, with printing Unicode characters only?

Thanks a lot!
Viktor

Marked As Solved

viktorianer

viktorianer

Oh, I just realized that you can click on each example to download the code :blush:. Did I miss this feature because I’ve been using the book without internet access? Or is there an explanation for this in the book that I might have overlooked?

Anyway, downloading the examples does help solve this problem, as I will go back to the code on my notebook eventually.

Initially, I was looking for the files in the repository itself and was surprised not to find those examples there. It was a bit frustrating not to find those files directly. Now, with the link, I understand why they are not included. :smiley:

But isn’t the book repository the best place for those code examples?

Also Liked

viktorianer

viktorianer

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your response and suggestion.

I understand that the recommended approach is to download the code sample directory separately and work with the text files from there.

However, I’m actually using the epub format because I primarily use a Kindle for reading. The book seems to be generally written with the approach of going to the posts and code on the web, which doesn’t work well for me as I often read while on the go with my Kindle and don’t have access to those resources.

My current approach is to read as much as possible in the book and take notes along the way. When I’m back at my notebook, I then start again with the examples and links to posts.

It’s not the best method, but it works to some extent. Ideally, I would prefer to have the examples directly in the book for convenience.

I would appreciate any further suggestions or adjustments that could make the code examples more accessible within the epub format.

Thank you again for your help and understanding.

Best regards,

Viktor

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
New
jamis
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
gilesdotcodes
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions: In Gemfile, change gem 'rails' t...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
jwandekoken
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below: d...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
dachristenson
I just bought this book to learn about Android development, and I’m already running into a major issue in Ch. 1, p. 20: “Update activity...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New

Sub Categories: