davetron5000

davetron5000

Author of Rails, Angular, Postgres, and Bootstrap

Bug with dx/build - how to workaround until fix is up

Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and are probably getting some issue like

realpath: /Users/davec/Downloads/code/dev-environment/dx/../../dcsidekiq/Book/code/: No such file or directory

I have a fix coming, but to work around this, you’ll need to comment out some lines of code, as in this gist: dx_build.sh · GitHub

What happened was that I had stuff in that script to sync all the code from where I write the book into the Subversion repo where Prag Prog manages the book’s source and sample code. Since you, the reader, don’t have that, it all breaks. My apologies. Please let me know if this works for you!

Dave

Marked As Solved

davetron5000

davetron5000

Author of Rails, Angular, Postgres, and Bootstrap

The book example app uses dotenv which sets the URL correctly. This is covered on pages 4 and 5 during the initial setup.

The missing lsb-release is an issue and I think a point release of Debian must’ve removed it.

Also Liked

davetron5000

davetron5000

Author of Rails, Angular, Postgres, and Bootstrap

Can you try doing chmod +x dx/* and try it again? I wonder if windows is not preserving the executable bits on those scripts?

Also, what are those Zone.Identifier files? They were not part of the .zip file.

davetron5000

davetron5000

Author of Rails, Angular, Postgres, and Bootstrap

OK the repo has been updated so that lsb-release is installed. I have no idea why Debian removed it :frowning:

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
nicoatridge
Hi, I have just acquired Michael Fazio’s “Kotlin and Android Development” to learn about game programming for Android. I have a game in p...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
AufHe
I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113. Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of prod...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New

Sub Categories: