jdsutherland

jdsutherland

Modern Front-End Development for Rails: B7 end ch 9 text doesn't mention required changes to pass props to Venue

I suspect you might be aware of this but here goes. If one follows the book, the end of ch 9 will result in errors from the useEffect call in Venue: Started GET "/tickets.json?concert_id=undefined". The reader should be able to figure this out, but the required changes aren’t explicitly listed in the text:

wherever Venue is initiated: packs/venue_display.js didn’t work for me so I’m using packs/application.js (props no longer hard-coded and add concertId):

      <Venue
        rows={parseInt(element.dataset.rows, 10)}
        seatsInRow={parseInt(element.dataset.seatsInRow, 10)}
        concertId={parseInt(element.dataset.concertId, 10)}
      />

concerts/show.html.erb (add data attributes):

  <div id="react-element"
       data-rows="<%= @concert.venue.rows %>"
       data-seats-in-row="<%= @concert.venue.seats_per_row %>"
       data-concert-id="<%= @concert.id %>">
  </div>

Edit: I just noticed there’s bit of a naming mismatch between seats_per_row (Rails) and seatsInRow (React). I figured I’d point that out to you if you weren’t aware.

First Post!

noelrappin

noelrappin

Author of Modern Front-End Development for Rails

The venue_display.js issue I know about and will be clearer about the solution in the text on final pass.

I probably should clear the naming as well, it sounds like the other problem is just that I missed describing a change in the text?

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
New
jdufour
Hello! On page xix of the preface, it says there is a community forum "… for help if your’re stuck on one of the exercises in this book… ...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex&gt; product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
Henrai
Hi, I’m working on the Chapter 8 of the book. After I add add the point_offset, I’m still able to see acne: In the image above, I re...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New

Sub Categories: