AstonJ

AstonJ

Keyboard thock (sound)

I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, here’s a video with one (I think) qualifies:

This one’s a little too muffled for my tastes:

This is quite nice:

I’m guessing the acoustics are affected just as much if not more by the casing and plate than just the switches.

Do you like the ‘thock’ sound? Or do you prefer something else?

Wonder how long it is before someone brings out an app that plays such a sound through your speakers with every key press :laughing:

Most Liked

davearonson

davearonson

Ye Olde Phartes may recall terminals such as the Z19, that could be configured to make a “blip” noise for each keypress, much like the little click many phones can be configged to do. More details at https://vt100.net/heath/z19-om.pdf

davearonson

davearonson

Oh, did I say I was 56? Sorry, you’re right, that’s not true at all.

I’m 57.

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

When you’re on the go, you can’t carry an external keyboard with you, and you miss your keyboard’s sound, you can use Mechvibes. :smiley:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
hauleth
This post is a followup of @AstonJ request here. We should start with some basis before we talk further - keyboard is in most cases the ...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
We have a thread about the keyboards we have, but what about nice keyboards we come across that we want? If you have seen any that look n...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
New
First poster: bot
Enjoy Life. Offline. Your Minimalist Phone. Mindful design, essential functionalities, an eye-friendly E Ink display, a dedicated OS and ...
New
First poster: bot
Ultra-high-density hard drives made with graphene store ten times more data. Graphene can be used for ultra-high density hard disk drive...
New
First poster: bot
I’m now the proud owner of a new Sony Walkman. Yes, they’re still a thing, and I couldn’t be more chuffed! The photo below shows us Stayi...
New
bsrtech
Blame AI! Samsung’s reported 100% QoQ increase in NAND Flash contract prices in Q1 2026 confirms a structural shift in the memory market....
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New